usb switch? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default usb switch?

I have 2 ups which I would like to monitor but the software can only monitor 1 at a time. Is there anything like a usb switch, much like a kvm, that would allow me to switch between the two or more usb devices connected to it? Thank you.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: usb switch?

i think that rather than a hardware solution, your software is going to be your limiting factor here. I would search for open source UPS monitoring software.

I'm assuming you have both UPS's attached to your PC directly? There are likely programs which can interface with generic UPS's.

ups-monitor

Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. I forgot to mention im using windows. Unless I missed it, I don't see a windows version. I've looked around for others but they seem to be limited, not too many out there.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I dont think this is possible since Windows only detects 1 UPS in the OS itself. I have never seen Windows have the option to select or use Multiple UPS before.

When i have used a UPS before i noticed that a new tab was added in the Computer Properties area. But when viewing the section i seen only 1 option to select which UPS you are using.

Do you have the software installed for both? What version of Windows are you using?

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

also, one possibility is that you use the UPS's in series (the first powers the second, which then powers your PC) so that way you really only need to monitor the first UPS. Or if you are feeling froggy, the second one.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks. Im using windows vista ultimate 64-bit. I actually have 3 ups connected via usb. 2 apc and 1 belkin. I installed the belkin software and I can monitor it just fine. The 2 apc ones are the same model with the same software. The software only detects the first one I plugged in. The device manager shows all 3 ups connected though.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

If the software itself only detects 1 of the UPS's installed that is a limitation of the APC software. There will be nothing that we can say or do.

Unless you try to install the software again but dont use the default location if that is a option.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

i have a bigger question; what are you doing running 3 ups's on one machine?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

The belkin is old, i've had it for a long time. I had 1 apc for about a year before I got the second one. I just have alot of things to plug in, plus they are great surge/noise protectors. Mostly home entertainment systems, computer and accessories and router, modem, switch, etc... with a few lights as well.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

LOL, you're going to be sitting there one day and your internet is going to go out and you're going to call your neighbor and be like "Did your internet go out?" and they are going to say "The whole block has been out of power for the past four hours!!! Where have you been???"

Closed Thread