USB Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default USB Problems

I have an IBM Thinkpad R31. I got it used and it has Windows XP. My problem is that I can't plug anything in to the USB drives (It has two). Under devices in the control panel it says they are working properly, but I don't see them even listed when I hit F1 for the BIOS. When I plug something into one of them, it locks up the whole computer and I cannot do another thing. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I am sorry if this has been answered somewhere, I tried to search, but couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance.

Therese

Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Possibly and probably drivers, at least your pc is sensing there is a device in the machine, even if it does lock it up. lol. Erm well go to the windowsupdate site, and click advanced so that you can select the updates, then go down to hardware updates and hopefully you should see some new drivers for your usb, select them then install.

If not listed, go to ibm.com i have a similar laptop, and it hates xp so i had to update the bios, so that i could get the ethernet working. Anyways look in the main page for your laptop, and try and find some drivers. its very hard to find them, i hate the IBM site, took me ages to find the drivers, there all listed and once youve found them id install not only the usb for xp, but the latest bios updates. My laptop has had 2 updates for the bios for xp all ready, and you can see the difference, because your hard ware actually works!!!!

Hope somthing here helps.......

Keyboard Not Found .... Press F9 To Continue.
Closed Thread