USB no longer works

Status
Not open for further replies.

huizilopochtli

Beta member
Company bought a Dell desktop. P4. Win XP Pro SP2. Sometime between when the company received the dell and now, the USB ports stopped working. Shows 4 "Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D(x)" X is just a random hex digit. But it only shows 3 "USB Root Hub"s. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, downloading a different USB driver, etc. Neither front nor back ports work. When I plug a device into them, nothing happens, no installing hardware, no nothing. Any suggestions? The only major upgrade that has occured has been SP2. I receive no error messages at all. If you need specs, I can get, it's just not at this location, so reply back and tell me.

Interesting! I had a similar problem with an external USB DVDRW drive after SP2 got installed. No drive Icon anymore. I tried installing the USB drive in a firewire card....it still doesn't exist. Now I'll be doing a specific driver update and if that doesn't work....XP fresh reinstall. I want answers too!

The thing is, NO USB device will work. I tried to install a scanner. It doesn't detect it. I tried to use a USB Flash drive (which works everywhere else). It doesn't detect it.

hmmm, check that legacy usb support is disabled and try again. You may have to open the case and check that the hub is connected to the mobo.

I'll try the legacy thing, but both back and front USB ports do not work. Back USB ports are integrated into mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom