USB Mass Storage Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

rememberme

In Runtime
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2½" HDD and an enclosure (USB) so I could construct an external hard drive for video editing files.

Everything is put together, I have connected it to the computer (XP) and the drive lights up, I see activity and Windows installs it and shows it as a USB Mass Storage Device in device manager. Everything seems fine with the drive, it even shows it as a Toshiba drive which it is... but I can't figure a way to access the drive lol

The computer knows it is there and in working order, but it is not showing up in My Computer like I imagined.

I guess I need to format it, but how the hell do you format a USB drive? Is there a command like "format c:" for a USB device? Also, the drive has 4 pins for a jumper... I.e. I can stick the jumper in 2 positions (4 if you include horizantal) but the drive did not come with one... Thanks for the newb help!

i had the exact problem

take the hardrive out of the case and set it 2 master then it will work

Any clues as to what is master on a Toshiba drive?

Beside the IDE pin set, I have 4 pins = ::::::::::'::::::::: : :

No jumper came with the drive, so I hope one from a 5½" CDROM will fit...

Sounds like you need to get hold of Toshibe to find out the settings and to have them send you a jumper.

Ok... the website is very helpful for the jumper settings for their drives, but I have located mine on the list and have "no jumper information available". Is it possible I don't need a jumper with this drive?

RESOLUTION

Ok, I have managed to work out my problem. If you are reading this post because you have the same problem, this may be the answer for you too:

Open up the Control Panel and start Administrative Tools.

Select the Disk Management from the list on the left.

On the lower part of the right hand side, you will get a list of all the drives connected. They show you how large the drives are and what file format. There should be one which is 'unknown' assuming you have your drive plugged in.

Right click on that drive and select Initiate.

Once you have chosen that drive from the popup window, the status will change to 'online'. Right click the new drive and choose to format the drive.

I used a Primary Format with the NTFS*

For simplicity, I assigned the letter U to the drive (as it is a USB). You can select a different choice from the dropdown list on the format menu.

Click Format (or start, whatever it was) and wait for the drive to format... This could take a while!

When the format is complete, the drive should turn up in My Computer. REMEMBER to dismount the drive before you disconnect it!! You can do this with the Safely Remove Hardware icon near your clock (which appears when the drive is on and connected).

You're done!! Hope it worked for you.

*If you can not choose NTFS as the format structure, open the Safely Remove Hardware icon near the clock, right click on the drive and select properties. On one of the tabs, you can choose between fast removal and performance. Performance needs to be selected in order to format in NTFS, but as I said you need to remove the drive safely each time, otherwise it may loose some of your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom