USB Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan1821

Baseband Member
I have a USB 2.0 hard drive that I use for music and movies. It worked fine for a couple of months but all of a sudden it wont work. In device maneger there is a yellow exclamation mark on the usb drive and when I look at properties it says: device cannot start (code 10). Its a pretty new drive so I really want to get it back to health. Any help or advice would be great! thanks, dunadan

Welcome to the forums, I don't believe you had to install any drivers for the external hd, but what you need to try doing it unplgging the drive, removing the hd from the control panel, restart the computer, once it loads windows, plug it back in.. see what happens

When you disconnect the HD, have you been stopping the device before removing the cord?

Also, we have a 200GB external here at work, and had some issues if we left it one while re-booting the machine or just regular shutdowns/startups at the end and beginning of the day. Your best bet would be to call the support for the brand of HD you have.

How did you resolve the problems at work? I did have a habit of leaving it on while I rebooted the computer, and also would leave it on for long stretches of time. Could it be completely fried?

I know this is a question about an old post.

I have the same problem and I was wondering if anybody found a solution.

FrankW

I did end up fixing it. The external enclosure was just a piece of junk so what I did was spend like 30 bucks and bought a new one. I took the hdd out of the busted one and put it in the new enclosure and booted it up. All my data was intact and I'v been using it ever since. You might want to try the same thing. Let me know how that goes!

Thanks for the quick response.

I thought it might be the box all along especially as I started getting different error messages every time I tried to run it with the jumper in the same position.

I have packaged it up and it will be returned to the supplier today.

If it isn't a problem could you tell me which brand and model you ended up getting and I will try to source the same here in Australia.

Many Thanks

FrankW

The brand is Media-to-go model number LHD2-U2. They have a website, media-to-go.com, but I would recommend you shop at newegg.com. If they dont have that model or brand whatever they have will work. They are a good place to shop with unbeatable prices. Just make sure that whichever one you choose, it is only the case and not a case pluse hdd, because that will be vastly more expensive than case only. Best of luck to ya and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom