USB 'device not recognized'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemma

Beta member
My Dell Latitude C600 laptop has a USB 1.1 port that's always worked just fine (it even worked with my new ipod, although a bit slower than a USB 2.0 port would have done).

I've been plugging a scanner, a broadband modem and the ipod into it with no problems until the other day, when it suddenly refused to recognise any devices plugged into it. The computer simply pops up with a message 'Device not recognized' saying the device has malfunctioned. This is for all devices and there's nothing wrong with any of them.

When I go into device manager it lists 'unknown device' under the USB host and claims no drivers are installed (which they are).

A couple of weeks ago I bought a PCMCIA card with two USB 2.0 ports attached to it. When I installed it the computer refused to recognize anything plugged into it either, and froze/hung up whenever anything WAS plugged in. This makes me think that the computer, and not the USB port itself, is the problem.

So now I can't surf broadband internet, download music, scan anything or update my ipod. Can anyone help?

PS I'm running Windows XP and have been all along.

thanks for your help!

Gemma

If your device manager tells you that the drivers are nt installed, then it has a problem with the drivers. What you should try is uninstalling or updating the drivers so that the device manager recognizes them again. Until you do, you won't be able to use the USB functionality on your laptop. As for why it happens, it's software, it is not perfect. Drivers do get corrupt or tend to go offline or cause issues if something happens that they just don't seem to like.

~Fawks

Thanks for your input! I don't have any drivers for my devices so unfortunately I cant un or reinstall them. As of today the broadband modem is working again for no apparent reason, fingers crossed the other devices will too.

Gemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom