USB 3.0 chaining - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default USB 3.0 chaining

I have a coffee table with a middle section that pulls up and away from the table. It has a drawer where I put my laptop, and I've drilled a hole in the bottom to pass cords down to the bottom of the table. I only run two cords - power for the computer and one USB cable.

So, with that in mind, I use two USB hubs - one in the bottom of the table which will generally have a couple of backup external hard drives, maybe a phone charger and eventually a Blu Ray/DVD burner. This USB hub sends a cable up to the drawer which connects to another USB hub. That hub takes that connection plus the USB mouse and connects to the computer. That way, I only have one actual USB attachment to the computer itself - this is important because there isn't much spare room in the drawer... just barely enough for the computer and mouse, so I only want a single USB connection on the left side of the computer.

I'm going to be upgrading my old computer, and it makes sense to me to update my two USB hubs to 3.0. Will I run into a problem with this kind of setup? And will it help if I make a point to not do multiple heavy power drawing things at once? For example, if I am burning a disc, I would avoid accessing anything else attached via USB other than the mouse.

Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: USB 3.0 chaining

Just to add to that a bit - the USB port in the drawer can't be powered (that would require a third cable going from the drawer to the bottom), but I could power the one on the bottom (the one with multiple hard drives, etc. attached) since I have a power strip down there.
Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote