USB 1.1 Compatability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
I am looking at the Archos Gmini 402 pocket multimedia center (here). Under the interface portion in the tech facts, it says "USB 2.0 high-speed device, compatible USB 1.1, PC & Mac." However, farther down, it says it requires a USB 2.0 port.

• Minimum computer configuration:
PC with Windows® ME, or 2000, and USB 2.0 port. Macintosh® G3 with MAC OS v10.2.4 or higher, Macintosh® G3 and USB 2.0 port.

My computer only has USB 1.1 ports installed. Will I be able to transfer files between the computer and handheld, or will I need to upgrade to USB 2.0? How can I tell if my computer is able to be upgraded to USB 2.0?

Just on a side note, does anyone else have this music player? I would be interested in hearing how well it works. I have already searched at cnet.com and pcmag.com.

Thanks for your help.

you would need to upgrade.

that device requires the higher speed that USB 2.0 can transfer with.

USB 1.1 transfers at 12 MB/s and USB 2.0 transfers at 480 MB/s.

you can buy a USB 2.0 PCI card, and they're pretty cheap!

it would stil work with usb 1.1 just **** slow.. when i got my ipod i only had usb1.1 and it was a usb2.0 device and it ran extremely slow but it stil went properly

personally, i wouldnt touch that mutimedia centre with usb 1.1 because it will be painfully slow...

think of usb 1.1 as dial-up speed
and usb 2.0 as broadband speed.

Buy USB2.0 for your own sanity on my old system backups took 14 hours to get to my external harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom