URGENT HELP REQUIRED PLS&THX!!! re: missing files on HD partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

terence_m

Beta member
hey all,

yea i'm the newb here but i really need some help.
so here's the situation:

- i've got three disks
disk 0: 60gb
disk 1: 160gb
disk 2: 60gb [via USB external])

- i've got them partitioned so i have:
15gb c: (system)
1gb w: (swap/virtualmemory)
60gb m: (mobile)
45gb x: (storage1)
76gb y: (storage2)
76gb z: (storage3)

- my w, y, and z partitions are all part of my disk 1 and recently i checked disk management in windows and found that under the status column it read "Healthy (At Risk)"

- so i read up on how to correct that problem and windows help actually helped me solve it as i went to Start -> Run -> diskpart and used its repair function to reactivate the volume and the status changed back to "Healthy"

- however, the problem is, i went to my z partition and found that the contents of my mp3 folder is completely missing (20gb worth of music). being the neat freak i am, i have all my mp3's sorted by genre and such, so i tried to manually type in the directory path in the address bar but only a SMALL percentage of them came up. i checked ALL the other folders in this partition to see if i accidentally moved the folders but nothing came up! i know the files and folders are still in the original folder but i just can't access them for some reason. the thing is, according to the space allocation, it would indicate that the files are still in its original location.

so i have no clue what to do and this seemed like a good place to start asking. i hope you guys have an insight to what may be the cause and a possible solution. thanks so much for taking the time to read the long explanation and i hope to get some replies soon!

terence

2000 or xp? did u try to refresh in admin/computer management/disk mngmt? also, u didn't change any of the modes of the HDD did you? like upgrade to dynamic? is the volume of any of these spanning from one HDD to another via dynamic? these are all things to consider. Also I noticed a big thing here. Is that 1gb partition on the primary master drive, but in a different partition??? That will actualy degrade performance. Putting the swap file on another drive is ideal, but it has to be a physically seperate drive, not just a logical or extended.

hey kilians45, thanks for the reply. here are some answers to help you out.

disk0 - 60gb
c: (system) - 15gb
x: (storage1) - 45gb

disk1 - 160gb
w: (swap) - 1gb
y: (storage2) - 76gb
z: (storage3) - 76gb

disk3 - 60gb [via usb2.0]
m: (mobile) - 60gb

- win server 2003
- i refreshed in admin/computer management/disk mngmt, no results earlier
- the mode of the my volumes under disk 1 are all dynamic, i'm not sure if that was the case when i formatted the disk or did it happen somehow
- volumes not spanning to another HDD
- actually the concern you brought up with the swap drive was something i considered when i planned out the partition, i made sure it was on two seperate physical drives

thanks so much!

hmmm... this is a weird one, then... have you ever set any permissions? If you boot to Dos via disk, can you browse to the folders? if the drives were spanned, that MAY shed some light, but as of now, I'm stumped... try the above and if I think of anything I'll let you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom