UPS (not the brown guys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I am looking at getting a UPS for my systems. I am unsure of exactly what wattage/volt-amperage I need.

Around me, I have my main desktop, my server (Atom ITX) and 2 monitors.

My server's PSU: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjM=
(this runs only maybe 50W, being the low power CPU)

My main desktop's PSU: Welcome to Seasonic USA
(yes, I need to change my sig :typo:)

My Dell e207WFP: E207WFP 20-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor Details | Dell
My Samsung SyncMaster 204B: Support for 204B SAMSUNG

The above are my main devices. My speakers, printer, external hdd (*maybe), modem and router can just go on the surge protector.

My budget is <$200, if drastically needs more, I'll think about it.

If there is anything more I need to add, please say so.

*WD My Book Essentials 320GB

I don't have a UPS but I'm pretty sure one big factor you need to consider is run time. How long do you want the power to last? Do you want a UPS that will let you keep running during an outage or do you just need enough time to shut down properly. You could also get one enough to shut down your desktop and monitors but have enough power to keep your server up. These factors matter just as much as the total power output. If you need to know the total wattage for the UPS, just add up your monitors and PSU's and add some extra room for error (I'm pretty sure PSU's are rated on output power, they're not 100% efficient so a 650W PSU will draw more than 650W on the AC side).

Wattage with any UPS or inverter is how much power it can output continuously. A 500W UPS won't be able to run 600W worth of stuff. The VA rating has to do with capacity, though usually batteries are measured in Amp-hours (Ah) or Milliamp-hours (mAh) which is essentially how many hours the battery can run if the load draws 1 amp continuously.

I understand that, but I cannot find the VA i need. My devices posted above gives all this data. I'm just not sure what they are.

I have an APC UPS to actually only run my cordless phone, but its pretty good.

Product Section

Service is spectacular, and their site will help narrow your needs. But youy won't beable to run a system for more than 10mins for under 200 dollars.

Yes, I always heard APC was good. Yes, I do not expect it to last longer than 10 minutes, just to shut the computers down.

I run an APC 1500VA and i get about 9 minutes of runtime.

Going by your sig, a 1000va should be more than enough for a graceful shutdown. I only went big because i got it for 50% off when Circuit City went out of business.

APC is the biggest name in UPS and you will pay extra for it. CyberPower is also a big player in the market. Personally I own a Powercom, Newegg.com - powercom King Pro KIN-1500AP 1500 VA 900 Watts 5 Outlets UPS ,I've had it for years now and it's the Best UPS I've ever bought (it was close to $400 when I bought it). The only drawback to the Powercom is that the monitoring interface is through a serial connection which my motherboard and many other newer motherboards no longer support. It still works fine but Windows just doesn't know it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom