Upgrading questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I have a ATI 9600 Pro as my video card. The next time I plan on a major upgrade for my pc is in the summer of 2006. Three years after I built this one. Is it worth it to upgrade my video card? Or should I stick it out for The next 14 months? Or should I upgrade to a x800 pro? Keeping in mind that I am considering upgrading for HL2.

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't upgrade... yet. The 9600 is a fairly powerful card. If you feel that it's not playing games or doing what your wanting it to do, then upgrade.

The reason that I put "your" in bold is because too many people do things based on what their peers would do. If the card is meeting your standards, who cares what anyone else thinks.

if u have to upgrade in summer 2006, then i'll recommend upgrading now. by then you'll have twice as powerful cards as you see now. because every 8 months, a new chipset comes out.

dont go higher, get yourself 9800 pro 128MB, that is still very decent card.

the 128MB is a bit shaky nowadays, because you can see in Doom 3 and HL2 that it stresses your video card to the max. I suggest a 256MB video card

I am going to upgrade in summer of 2006 ie, new mb, cpu, ram, sound card, vid card. A new system every three years. So you are saying grab a new vid card? even though its still in the same generation? Would it really be worth it?

X800 series has double bandwidth of 9800 series, even of 9800XT.

9800PRO was though faster than 9600, and its chip is R-350 (9600 on R-300) (9800XT on R-360). and by that time, you'll definately upgrade to PCI-E. rather than AGP (or whatever is fastest standard at the time).

in meanwhile, i'll recommend 9800PRO, that is very decent, and still plays every game that is out there, and will play at least mid of next year (though slow).

now to 9800PRO

you might get the Original ATI Built for 215. but get only Original ATi Built. that will be enough till end of 2005. unless until you bought some real tough game.

if by that time, more game developers came with shader model 3.0 (assuming ATi still diodnt gave any support), then upgrade to nVidia, else keep your preference with ATi's.

cause if i have to talk about current situation, nVidia and AMD are wearing the performance crown.

nVidia has that crown because of how it was built for Doom3, or at least their cards in the last six months. However ATI will be the card for Half Life 2. Valve has only used ATi to test and design the game. So ATI has that advantage. Plus its a much better game than Doom3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom