Upgrading Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Upgrading Question

This is a simple and small topic just for me... (heh) But I would really like an answer from someone who knows more than me.

I would like to upgrade of my computer, but I am not sure which would be best for my system. This upgrade is purely for GAMING reasons and I would do both If I had the funds to do so. As far as anything besides gaming, (music, writing, burning, or web browsing) my machine works great!

Here is my system:

AMD 64 3200 at 2.2 Ghz (220x10)
EVGA NF-47 Nforce 4 Sli x16 mainboard
2GB Corsair XMS 3200 @ 400mhz 2.5,3,3,6
EVGA Geforce 7900 GT KO 560 core, 1750 memory (256 mb) N564
Demon 580 W PSU +12volt at 24 amps
Creative Sound Audigy SE
LiteOn DvD burner
Maxtor 120GB 7200rpm 8mb cache Serial ATA 1.5gb/s(Game drive)
Seagate 80GB 7200rpm 8mb cache Serial ATA 1.5gb/s(System Drive)

I want to upgrade my processor to a AMD 64 4000+ SanDiego (And overclock to 2.6 GHZ) I would go dual core, but I have read many reviews and decided I don't need one.

Or I could go SLI WITH A SECOND 7900 GT. I have read about SLi and determined that two 7900 GT's would be better than 1 7900 GTX in my Full 16x PCI-express motherboard. (performance is not completely doubled through SLI but now with better boards, it comes quite close.)

I can only buy one now, and probobly not the other for a few months. My question is, which one should I buy first?

Would a better processor be best for gaming? Would my old processor hold back two 7900 GT's perfomance? Or should I buy a faster hard drive?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

The SLi 7900GT's would do you better than the 4000+ would.

When it comes down to it, in gaming GPU > CPU.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the advice General!

I was thinking the same thing, but do you think my 3200 processor will hinder my new dual 7900 GT's? I am worried that if I get a GPU before a faster CPU, I will not see much of a performance differnece....
Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to jcortes

you will the graphics cards dont really comunicate with the cpu they kind of do their own thing just be sure you have sufficient power

AIM = jcortestechhelp
Closed Thread