Upgrading Processor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2003, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Upgrading Processor

I currently Have a Pentium 433MHZ Celeron processor. Am I able to upgrade this processor without buying a new machine alltogether or motherboard? And if so, how fast can i upgrade it to. A friend told me that I can upgrade celeron processors up to a certain speed without having to get a new motherboard or system. Is this true?

Overall, Can I upgrade without getting new system or motherboard, and if so what are my options.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Lostman Send a message via AIM to Lostman Send a message via Yahoo to Lostman

Nope. The only salvagable part would be your hard drive. If you have a system that old, your memory will not work with new systems, your power supply would be too small and your mobo won't run anything from the last 2 years. You can still use your cd rom and floppy though.

I suggest getting a barebones system from Tigerdirect.com or some place. They are inexpencive and then you can use the few parts off of your old system.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Here are my specs MIcrobell. If u need anything else, let me know.

Pentium Celeron 433MHZ
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
256 RAM
Win 98se
Board: SiS-620
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG
Old 10-05-2003, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

don't count on being able to use you old hardware and simply upgrading your processor. trying to save money like that is usually not a good idea with hardware as old as yours. if you are a on tight budget consider saving up for an AMD system not INTEL. AMD generally has much cheaper hardware at the same performance and relaibility as a comparable intel pentium system.

that said you should consider replacing your motherboard, processor, and memory because it is most likely cannot be used with the new er motherboard. and possibly a new video card, sound card and possibly hard disk, a new case/ power supply, network card. well...actually thats everything, plus anything else i missed.

the bright side is that although this seems alot you should be aware that all this could cost you around only $320-400. i'll give you an estimate. if you buy these parts at www.newegg.com and build it yourself:
asus nforce motherboard with built in sound , network, video would cost $67 with free shipping

a new case with a 350watt power supply is $55 including $5 shipping

PC2100 256MB memory stick is $40-50

you could use your old cd-rom drive and floppy drive or get a new ones. floppy drive is $7 and cd-rom is $20-30

a AMD XP2400 processor which is equivalent to a pentium 4 2.4 cost half as much at only $82 retail with the included heatsink fan combo.

hard disk 40-80GB is $60-80

so everything is going to cost about $320 without a new floppy and cd-rom drive or $280 with them. this computer will be 7-10 times faster than that celeron

see, its not so bad is it?
Closed Thread