Upgrading...mobo and AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

krystof

Solid State Member
Much help needed...

I am moving from a mobo with integrated 32Mb AGP to a new mobo/AGP system, and I am getting a black screen and nothing. I cannot install the AGP card on the old board, as there is no slot. Tested other AGP cards and still blank screen (not even a BIOS setup screen). Monitor says there is no signal.

Here are the specifics:

Mobo: Matsonic 8147C+
AGP: Palit FX5600 256Mb AGP8x

Anyone have any clue what to do? Do I need to put my old mobo back in and remove the old graphics drivers? DO I need to start with a junk PCI card to let the mobo install the AGP stuff? What do I need to do here to get something - anything - on the screen? Monitor works fine (tested with a laptop).

Thanks in advance for your quick help, folks!

Any beeps, fans starting to spin, lamp lighting up, anything?

What are your other system specs?

No beeps, fans all spin and I have some lights (although which lights come on is funny, as the manual is not all that great on this Mobo).

Other specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+

512Mb PC3200 DDR (400mhz) - New (will likely try this in the old mobo when I get home, but the old one doesn't support 400mhz).

400W power supply

Is that enough? Touched some keys on the KB and occassionally I get some HD noise...but I may be imaginging that.

Thanks for the reply, BTW

Wouldnt hurt to try reseting bios, maybe that would help?

hmm let me know how things go!

Well, it isn't the memory, as that works fine in the old board...

Tried a PCI video card in new board...no luck there...

Now removing the drivers for the old board's video and shutting down.

Cross your fingers!

Ugh...no luck. I got a whole lot of nothing still on the screen.

Any other ideas out there? No video card (either old or new AGP or PCI) is working, and I still get no beeps from the mobo on boot.

Bad mobo?

Reseting the bios? Do you mean to flash it (which I cannot) or reset the CMOS?

Resetting the Cmos -- worth a try imo...

If you're not sure you heard any beeps, then you probably didn't.. Are you sure you have connected your pc speaker correctly?

The fact that the RAM worked on your other mobo is not a guarantee that it'll work on your new mobo, unfortunately.. Check mobo website for information on that. Some mobo's just doesn't seem to like some brands for some reason :(

OK, I am back on my old system....ugh....

Tried a few other suggestions (the "maybe it is a short between the case and mobo"; resetting the CMOS; nothing other than the processor, RAM and card; lots of stuff).

Going to try an older case and see what happens with the graphics card in it. The mobo/RAM relationship may be the big thing that ticks me off in the long run. Hope that isn't it, since all three parts were bought on Ebay.

Thanks!

OK, last update till I figure out the compatibility between mobo and RAM (and both the Matsonic site and the vendor for the RAM say it should work fine).

Tried the AGP card in another system, and that worked fine in there - so it is the Mobo almost certainly (unless it is the RAM/Mobo relationship, or some crazy jumper somewhere). Here are the specifics if anyone wants to know:

Matsonic 8147C+ with 8x AGP, 400DDR capability, VIA KT400A Chipset, 200/266/333Mhz FSB, etc...

Vitelic 512Mb PC3200 DDR DIMM 400Mhz

Thanks for helping, folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom