Upgrading from Dell SP2208WFP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Upgrading from Dell SP2208WFP

Hi there!

I'm [obviously] new around here, and am curious about a monitor upgrade. I currently have a Dell SP2208WFP as mentioned in the thread title, and am looking to add another monitor to the mix. The 2208, as far as I'm concerned, has amazing color reproduction and contrast. I attribute this partially to it having a glossy screen [which is nearly impossible to find these days! Damn] so less of the light from the monitor is diffused. I love glossy screens, and I don't mind the glare problem [my brain adjusted, imagine that] but as a graphic designer and motion graphics artist, they are really beautiful to me [I love the crispness.]

Since they're not really on the market anymore, I've had to look at my options. I did a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that this monitor:

is perhaps one of the best deals on the planet right now... pardon my exaggeration. I understand that it's not "true" IPS technology, but from many I've heard that, aside from the "purple glow" problem, IPS, e- or not, is the way to go.

What I want to know is - I have a very high standard set with my current monitor, as far as crispness, color reproduction, and contrast. It's old but honestly, my opinion is that most monitors these days just aren't so spectacular. Even newer Dells don't look as good, for whatever reason. My friend recently bought a Dell monitor and it's just not fantastic. Granted, in high-light situations, he doesn't have to deal with glare that's in-focus. But I'm never in high-light situations on my monitor, and I've found that matte screens actually annoy me more because they diffuse the glare -- I can't see my ENTIRE screen, instead of just a window-shaped square on it! :P

Another friend of mine bought an Asus monitor recently as well, and it also has somewhat muddied colors and the blacks are... well, gray. And fuzzy. That's the one thing I can't stand about matte [or anti-glare, as they're now called] screens.

So, all of that said, any advice you guys could offer would be fantastic!

Thanks a lot

Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Upgrading from Dell SP2208WFP

Newegg.com - ASUS VE248Q Black 24" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1 (1,000:1)

Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The ML239H is the monitor I'm currently looking at, as it uses e-IPS technology, which I've heard is the best as of yet, under true IPS. I'm less interested in the ASUS VE248Q because of its TFT panel. My current monitor is TFT, but its one advantage is the gloss screen; other TFTs with matte screens tend to have muddy colors and foggy edges, on text, etc.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I was keen to get the ML239H, but money was a little tight. I went with an Acer. Newegg.com - Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1

Dunno what you want, though. Color reception does not matter to me, as I am blue-green color blind. And I'm not a graphics artist.
Neowin.net Steam Account
Closed Thread