Upgrading On A Dell Dim 8200 Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickc284

Baseband Member
Yes...I know.... Unfortunately a few years ago when I got my comp, I bought one from Dell. Had I known what I know now, I obviously wouldn't have.

That said, how do I find out what memory, and everything else, that my mobo supports?

It doesn't seem that the info is even on the net when I searched on Google. Anyone know where I can find info on the board or does Dell keep everyone from knowing anything about their hardware because they think it's funny?

I was thinking about doing the same thing on this HP but I decided, screw it, I'd have to replace everything, I'll just get a new computer. Good luck however.

I tried earlier today tracking down info that way and wasn't too successful. Maybe you can find the info on the site. My serial # is 79JTS11. It a Dimension 8200.

I'm running a pair of 256 sticks of PC800 in two of my four DIMM slots.

--
Dell Dimension 8200 Mobo
P4 2.0 GHz 400 MHz FSB
512 MB PC800 (2x 256 MB)
80 GB HD
Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM
nVidia GeForce 4MX420
SB Live! Value
XP Pro SP2

jerry5739 said:
pop out ur RAM and it may say what type it is...or u can try www.crucial.com

Well, I know the kind of RAM that I have, just not what specific motherboard it is. I know that the chip set is an Intel i850E, that the Southbridge (whatever that is) is 82801BA (ICH2), and that it's a "Dimension 8200" board.

patrickc284 said:
I'm running a pair of 256 sticks of PC800 in two of my four DIMM slots.
PC800... it uses RDRAM
RDRAM is very uncommon, although it is a fair bit faster than DDR ATM. the reason it is not common, is because it is expensive.

apokalipse said:
PC800... it uses RDRAM RDRAM

Well, I understand that. But how do I find out if I can support say, DDR400 in my motherboard? Or any other speed or type of RAM for that matter.

Your mobo supports socket 478 Pentiums up to 533MHz FSB. I think this is the biggest one you could use:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-180&depa=1

Your mobo has a 4x AGP slot and 4 PCI slot.

It can hold up to 2gig of memory, uses PC800 (non-ECC). It has four memory slots (duh).

Externally, you have 2 5.25" bays and 2 3.5" bays. Internally you have 2 bays for 1" high IDE hard drives.

Your PSU is 250 Watts.

Here's the link to your spec page:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572

You can probably upgrade your PSU, but you will have to get a Dell PSU... gotta love proprietary parts...).

Cool. Thanks a lot, man. I appreciate it.

Yeah, what I wanted to do was take out my PC800 and put in a gig of PC3200, and sell the Rambus RAM.

I guess that's not possible on the same board? The spec sheet only says it can use RDRAM, but I don't know if it's backwards compatible at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom