Upgrading a DELL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
ok i know almost all of you are gona tell me "just buy a new one our computer sucks" i know it sucks it's a dell with no AGP or PCI-E support. now onto the qeustion, i've had my dell scince 2002 and an gonna get my new PC in a few months,but for the time being i want to upgrade my current P.O.S. so my brother can have a decent computer when he gets this (he's not a PC gamer so dont yel at me for giving it to him). so here are the specs:

Intel P4 1.8ghz wo/HT
768mb generic/kingston value RAM
BFG Fx5500 PCI video card
dont know the mobo but it sucks
40gb ide some format i dont know Hard drive
52-32-52 cd drive-NEW but no dvd burning just reading

im thinking a new CPU and new RAM all that i can really upgrade so i was thining this CPU

Crappy intel wo/HT but my mobo dosent support it, I think?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116178

and this RAM

only kingston value RAM i could probably get it cheaper at circuit city they usually have it on sale for about 20 bucks. i would just replace my generice 256mb with this to make 1gb total

kingston value RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141472

any other coments would be a big help

THANX!

I wouldn't even bother spending money on upgrading that PC.
Just format and reinstall the OS. Put very minimal programs on it.

Just a browser, word processor and may-be a few utilities.

do what i did, just get a nice new mobo, and ram, then oc the cpu so its like, that way you strip it of shity dell, and you get a much better pc

MrZucchiniHead said:
ok i know almost all of you are gona tell me "just buy a new one our computer sucks" i know it sucks it's a dell with no AGP or PCI-E support. now onto the qeustion, i've had my dell scince 2002 and an gonna get my new PC in a few months,but for the time being i want to upgrade my current P.O.S. so my brother can have a decent computer when he gets this (he's not a PC gamer so dont yel at me for giving it to him). so here are the specs:

Intel P4 1.8ghz wo/HT
768mb generic/kingston value RAM
BFG Fx5500 PCI video card
dont know the mobo but it sucks
40gb ide some format i dont know Hard drive
52-32-52 cd drive-NEW but no dvd burning just reading

im thinking a new CPU and new RAM all that i can really upgrade so i was thining this CPU
Crappy intel wo/HT but my mobo dosent support it, I think?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116178

and this RAM

only kingston value RAM i could probably get it cheaper at circuit city they usually have it on sale for about 20 bucks. i would just replace my generice 256mb with this to make 1gb total

kingston value RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141472

any other coments would be a big help

THANX!

Like you siad you know your computer is crappie Here is small real ideas of ways to upgrade your Computer:
What model number is it(dell case)
You would wanna find the max amount of RAM supported(pROB. 1GB
Jugdeing on what proccesor now is that you would have to get Northwood CPU.
Try google or E-bay:confused: for a northwood CPU
Than get a new GFX card (think they have a 6200 Pci card now.)
Then just get A new HDD 250gb and install a case fan(120mm Hole Driller W/cordless drill)Then a good 120mm Case fan {via newegg.com 2ball bearing for reduced sound}(Also 80mm for back of case.)
Also round IDE cables Like $10 for better air flow:D :D
DVd burner 16xDVD-R(opti. DualLayer via Newegg.com)
Umm that would Be a complete Dell overhual.
19"or 17"LCD Screen

Those are just Ideas you could take IDeas from That. That is complete Dell overhaul but if you wanted tog get all of that you mite as well just build a New AMD which I could also give you an idea of a budget PC.

well, i had a dell dimension 4550, i replced the case, mobo, ram, cpu cooler, new psu and added a few more fans...toatal cost 237pounds, i then sold all that stuff i took off for about 150pounds.

my new mobo and cooling allowed some good OCing, as a result my pc can now play bf2 on full settings, for less that 100pounds.....well pleased

Upgrade it to the dumpster and build one you can be proud of!! You can't make a Mercedes from a Yugo!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom