Upgrading computer and ram questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

salami1212

Baseband Member
Well. i am planning on upgrading from 3000+ athlon xp, 6600gt agp, 2x 512mb ddr ram fsb 333 pc2700....

to a 3200+ athlon xp, 6800gt (overclock to ultra if can) agp, 2 x 1gb ddr ram fsb 400 pc3200....

And in the ram, what is better... low cas or high cas, low voltage or high voltage, registered or non registered, buffered or non buffered,high density or low density..

also would i need heatsinks to use "high performance defaults"

and 1 more thing.. how much of a performance gain will i get from my upgrade?

could you answer all me questions please

Re:

Hello,

There's not much point upgrading from an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ to an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Processor. You'll only jump from 2167Mhz to 2200Mhz. I don't see much sense in doing so.

If your intentions of upgrading the CPU to a 3200+ is to benefit from the increased bus speed of the newer barton cores, then same applies. A shift from 333Mhz to 400Mhz won't see a great performance increase.

As for the graphics cards i'm not too sure :rolleyes: . I've never had to glance at higher end graphics card for i'm a cheapo on a 5700LE :tired:...

As for the RAM, ask yourself...do you require 2048MB of RAM? Personally I'd think 1GB is adequate enough for the majority of memory munching tasks but it very much depends on the uses of your machine I suppose.

With specifications of RAM its very much a question of what your motherboard requires, rather than what is better. Some motherboards can accept ECC RAM but others will refuse them. Some require registered RAM some don't. Some require buffered RAM, some don't. Some can accept one or the other. RAM specifications depends on your motherboard's specifications.

Re:

I see.

I don't see much point in having to deal with the expense of jumping from having a 333Mhz bus speed to 400Mhz bus speed. I would say just increasing the amoung of RAM you have is more than adequate. Having to purchase a new processor, motherboard plus extra RAM seems pointless for an upgrade, just for the extra 67Mhz of bus speed...especially when your current specs are perfectly fine.

My advice...just upgrade your RAM...and save the money for a better, more beneficial upgrade.

The ram will just underclock to ddr333. No big deal. Also, low cas is better, registered and ECC are only for servers, and I have no idea what density is. Voltage does not matter with ram also. It just supplies the power to it.

Finally, you will see a performance increase with that set up. But I don't think its worth it to do it, unless your going to sell all your used parts. Its just better to wait it out. Your spending 110+ on the processor, 280+ on the video card, and 80+ on the ram. You might even need a new mobo too if your mobo doesn't support fsb of 400. All that adds up to, like a new computer.

I'm pretty sure that you can play every game you want with that setup, just not with max AA/AF/resolution.

Re:

Hello,

I think he's interested in buying a barton core which has a 400Mhz bus speed, so it wouldn't underclock. But still 67Mhz is no big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom