Upgrading from Carbon-copy paper forms - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Upgrading from Carbon-copy paper forms

I'm employed by a small business that is still using a PAPER filing system to keep track of customers. The boss knows I graduated with a degree in Computer Art so.... I got volunteered to figure out how upgrade the whole mess to the electronic age. There is one old computer (Windows 5) used for email, Excel and online re-ordering. Its located inconveniently far from the mechanical cash register and is very slow. I was authorized to look for hardware as well as the software.

The business is a shoe repair and tailoring shop so we get a LOT of small ticket items and unusual jobs. The main need is for a simple, quick program that can keep track of how many jobs are due on a given day of the week and provide a warning when a day is getting 'full'. If said program was also on something the size of a phone and could print from our existing printer - that would be gravy. (At this point I'm tempted to just suggest a whiteboard)

Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: Upgrading from Carbon-copy paper forms

What sort of budget are we working with here? What computer and printer do you have (make and model for both)? What do you actually need the software to do, you mentioned "keep track of customers" but what does that involve? Do you just need to keep track of your customers and their orders?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread