Upgraded RAM but Windows still keeps crashing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaohai

Solid State Member
PC specification:
Motherboard: MSI K7N420 Pro
CPU: Athlon XP 1800
RAM: 256MB Micron DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR266 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 72
512MB Micron DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR266 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 72

I'm getting frustrated :(. Two weeks ago I realized that Windows XP would crash in middle of my work. I was using a 256MB Micron DDR PC2100 and another generic 256MB PC2100. So I suspected a memory failure. I used Memtest86 and there are some bad blocks in the generic brand RAM. So I took it off and only used Micron 256MB RAM. Everything ran fine until one day I decided to by another 512MB Micron DDR PC2100. Now Windows crashes again. It restarts the machine in the middle of no where. I gave a full memory test using Memtest86 and there's no problem for both memory sticks. Some other things I noticed are: Windows starts really slow with both RAM but not with only one; IE and Opera keep crashing. Can anyone tell me what possibly can go run. Thanks.

yea it may be the ram.. or im thinking it may be ur cpu? maybe its overheating? i dunno how the ram would effect that if u said it worked a few times before u upgraded the ram. But when it restarts by its self, does it like start to be slow and then it restarts?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm actually using Crucial RAM. I don't know the difference between Crucial and Micron but I bought both RAM directly from Crucial. The thing is if I took out the 512MB RAM, my system runs fine. Yes, I'm using the newest 2.8 Bios. What do you mean the size of the PSU? I use slot 1 and 2. And I tried switch them around. There's a issue about the CPU though. It's a Athlon XP 1800, but it always runs at 1100MH. I tried once setting it to "high performance" in the BIOS and system crashed after that. When it's about to restart, there's no sign of slowing down or anything. It's just as if you punch the Reset button.

i dont really know a lot about AMD, but since its a 1800, its not gonna read like 1800MHZ. Thats just how AMD is. like a 3200 AMD is not a 3.2. its like a 2.1 2.2 aroud there. so i think thats normal. a PSU is the power supply. If you open up ur case, its the thing the power plug connects to on the outside. The watts should be on the side of the unit or somthing..

i think this is caused due to grounding of the motherboard, or else check all the connectins of the computer and all the busses of cd-rom,hard drive and the expansion cards if any. Some times it may be the problem of busses or cd-roms or floppy drives.

Are you sure you are using ECC memory? Count the black chips on the PCB and let me know the number on the old module. I checked our configurator and the motherboard you have will only support non-ECC memory. If the old module has 8 or 16 chips then it is non-ECC. By the way which OS are you running?

CrucialLabs said:
Are you sure you are using ECC memory? Count the black chips on the PCB and let me know the number on the old module. I checked our configurator and the motherboard you have will only support non-ECC memory. If the old module has 8 or 16 chips then it is non-ECC. By the way which OS are you running?
I think that's the problem! I'm running Windows XP and Fedora Core 2. My old module is non-ECC as it has 16 chips. My new module is a ECC module because that's what I bought. So I should ask for a replacement or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom