Upgrade video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseman

In Runtime
Ok I have a small challenge for you guys (don't worry it is easy ;) ). Alright my dad has a computer and all he does on it is do fantasy sports on IE but he likes a series of games called stronghold or something but he just bought stronghold 2 (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/246603.asp). The game works but it is very chopping and slow so he is willing to upgrade the video card to help improve it but we only have about $200 tops so we are just looking for some suggestions. Right now he has a AMD sempron +2800, asrock mobo, 512 MB of ram, 60 GB hd and a 80 GB (dont ask why they are different), and a AGP ATI 9200 video card. I think it would be better staying with ATI because I have people have trouble switching to nvidia but if it can be done under $200 then we will try it. Any input would be great :)

P.S. Sorry if I typed too much :umm:

Thanks,
Robert

lol sup moose man.

If 200 bucks is your budget.... I would get a 9800Pro, never get an SE card from ATI because their crap, believe me I know. The video card is usually the most expensive component in a PC today. If you want a really nice one, expect to spend over 300.

Well I know you guys lost the XP disk and just have recovery CD's for another PC, but it's worth trying to aqquire a copy and using your legal CD key

ATI or Nvidia, switching from completly different cards usually doesnt work that well.

BTW 6600GT is the best 200$ card as well all know, and the 9800P being the best sub200 ATI card

Well I don't think I need to go through to much work (like reinstalling windows) and spend that much money because he only plays stronghold 2 and by the time a new good game comes out he will probaly have a completly new computer so he just needs something to get the job done for now.

If $200 is your price range, get the 6600 GT without a doubt. It blows away the 9800 Pro, and even has Pixel Shade 3.0. The 9800 Pro is old news now.

Yes, spending $200 on a 9800pro just doesn't make sense. The 6600GT is the way to go.

9800pro is crap for its price

get a 6600gt with a reputable name (i.e. evga and leadtek)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom