UPGRADE: Mobo, CPU, Memory - Need advice w/ *Brand name* vrs *Brand name*...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleep said:
Also, if you run into a problem repairing XP, where you can't get past the Administrator Login to begin the repair...meaning that no matter what password you try, it fails. You should make the XP boot floppy disks, and use those to re-install the recovery console. I ran into this problem after rlacing my mobo and running a repair, and it was the only way to get past this error. It is a known issue with XP home edition.
Yeah I hit that problem, put in the password I new it was, didn't work, put in the old default password, didn't work. after retry a bunch of times, retyping passwords ect(only allows 3 times then need to reboot, ARG) finally just hit enter(no password) and it worked. But now I don't know what to do, it brings up the system directories it finds(c:\windows\)
and pick that and it gives me Dos access, and I can type in DOS commands (DIR, HELP, ect) but I don't know what I'm supposed to do???

Do the XP Floppy boot disks skip this part? or do they com to the same thing? I've got on office computer useing win xp so I can make the disks no problem.

[EDIT] Never Mind, got the system up and running, just had to choose install windows, then it gives you an option of repairing. [/EDIT]

Glad you got it running. The problem I was describing was that you couldn't even use the "no password" option. Something to do with the recovery console on some of the XP Home CD's.

Yep, got it running , finally. But everything seems very unstable and keep crashing. Going to have to back up everything and do a fresh install methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom