Upgrade CPU or Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdryicexx

In Runtime
Since i am very limited to how much I can spend right now, I am stuck between getting more ram or a cpu upgrade..

My motherboard currently holds a 1800+ amd 1.5ghz cpu, the highest it can hold is a 2.0ghz cpu (only +500mhz upgrade).. This I can get for 80 bucks... On the other hand, I also have 512 DDR Ram, and can get another 512 DDR Ram stick for 80 bucks, putting me at 1024 Ram..

Which do you guys think would pay off more? The reason I am trying to upgrade if for better gaming performance.. My video card is fine, a Radeon 9600 XT.. But not sure if the 500mhz upgrade would beat another 512 ddr ram chip..

any suggestions?

Thats a tough call. I would say memory if you do a lot with software. If you do gaming then get faster cpu.

Okay, I do agree with what mrzeeedler said. Maybe for gaming you should go with a faster processor. But, I also know that a processor at 800 mhz with 512 mb or RAM is better than a processor at 1.2 ghz with 128 mb or RAM.

Not that you would want a 1.2 ghz processor with 128 RAM anyway. I'm just saying, take that into perspective.

Definately the processor. Get a new mobo while your at it. Most games today don't require anymore RAM than 256MB. 512MB will hold you a bit longer.

Now u can get ram first, then when u have money , u just change your mobo n cpu, n use back the ram.

i think u should get the cpu and mobo, but make sure it supports ddr400 then once uve got the money buy sum of that speed ram. plus u dont need a gig of ram atm so there will be very little performance increase at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom