upgrade and clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
What is the difference between upgrading an OS and the clean install? If we can fresh install the new OS, why bothering upgrade, Is it just cost-effective thingy.

What not please me is that allmost everyone has some problem with upgrading. So what's the real difference?

i think upgrading the OS is a less consuming process, and also if there is any corruption of files, the new setup will still have them.

while clean install is done on a new hard disk, so you dont build up on corrupted files(if there are any)

Upgrade cds you purchase to do a clean reinstall you have to have a previous version of windows ie 98, me,2000 to install a clean version it will require you to insert the previous verisons cd to verfiy in the middle of the install. When upgrading it wont do that. Also upgrading will not cause you to lose any data. While you can upgrade with either the full installation cd or the upgrade cd. If you have another operating systems cd it would be cheaper to go with the upgrade cd. like I said you can preform a complete reinstall or upgrade from either cd but if you use the upgrade you must have previous version cd.

Upgrading will keep all settings from your previous operating system intact with the new OS, while a clean install is a "fresh start." Unless you've taken very good care of your previous OS installation, upgrading will almost always bring problems with it. I did a simple upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro, and afterwards it took nearly one whole minute on the black bootup screen for XP, so I reformated and did a clean install of Pro and everything works perfectly (XP boots up in 15 seconds). Unless there is a reason you cannot back up your files and wipe your hard drive clean, DEFINATELY go with a clean install.

Upgrade:
Install a newer version of your operating system over the top of your current one. You will retain all files/programs and settings

Advantages of upgrading:
- Keep all files/programs and settings (If compatible with new OS)

Disadvantages of upgrading:
- Your registry can get messed up
- Programs that are installed may not run correctly or be incompatible with the newer OS and therefore causes problems.

Clean Install:
Installing an operating system (not nessecarilly a newer OS) onto your computer which has no operating system at all.

Advantages of a clean install:
- Eliminates any software problems you have
- Eliminates any software problems you dont know you have
- System will be at its top performance even without tweaks

Disadvantages of a clean install:
- You will lose any data on the drive/partition
- You will need to reinstall your drivers and programs and reconfigure all your settings and preferences

I would always recommend doing a clean install when upgrading your OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom