Updating Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkpointer

Solid State Member
Hi,
I have an older but modified Dell xps r400 computer running WIN98SE. I want to add TV viewing with video editing and improve game performance. My oem monitor a Dell D1226H 19-inch model with a pci control card and is connected to my oem agp-video card (8mb-STB nVidia Velocity ZX) via a multi-pin cable.

In searching around the internet for cards that might work in my computer, the only thing I could find is an ATI 7500 Radeon AIW. However, in looking into the ATI hookups, the newer ATI card does not have any such cable connection capability. I contacted ATI and they said that new technology doesn't require hardwire connections. Guess they know, but has anyone else out there experienced something like this? Any ideas or comments would be welcome!
Regards,

Ouch, that sounds like quite an old computer, now you said that you want to play games on it ? How fast is your processor ? Yes, upgrade video cards are always great. There is always new technology out there. Even if you were to buy the Radeon 7500, I don't think it would really improve game performance that much. It is old, and most of these new games require a good, fast, 3d video card. I would reccomend GeForce FX 5200, because it is a older card, 128mb ddr, TV out and is good for Gaming. Hope this helps.

Updating Video Card

Majistic,
My computer is faster now than it was in the original configuration, and I have replaced the following oem parts:
CPU was PII 400 mHz, now PIII 1.4 GHz;
HD was 30 gb 7200/ATA100, now 160 gb 7200/ATA 133 with own controller card;
Sound Card was 16 bit Turtle Beach Montego II, now 24 bit Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS;
CD/DVD was Toshiba MD1202 at 4.8x, now Toshiba MD1602 at 16x;
Added Sony CD/RW at 24x/10x/40x;
Internet was 56K Dial up, now 1500K Firewall DSL;
Mouse was 2-button, now Optical Wheel USB;
Keyboard was Dell natural, now Microsoft Internet Natural with USB connections.
Regarding the new video card, I did buy a ATI 7500 AIW at a really reduced price from a nearby computer repair store. They were happy to get rid of it. I'm sure I saved at least $75. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom