Updating Motherboard, win xp wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

skill52

Beta member
hi, i'm trying to replace an intel motherboard (P61WP-FE, CPU=Celeron 576MHz) with an AMD one (Epox EP-8K7A+, CPU= Athlon XP 1.1GHz), which i have taken out of my old computer so i know it works fine.

When i attach the new AMD motherboard into the case with the harddrive used for the old Intel motherboard which is in NTFS format and i try to boot up. I get the BIOs screens and everything looks fine, then it comes up something about windows encountering a problem starting up and this may be coursed by new hardware, it then gives the options to start in safe mode
safe mode with networking
Last known configuration
start windows normally

Each one i try the screen goes black then a blue screen with writing on flashes up, too fast to read and then restarts.

Any ideas..

P.s i tried the harddrive (FAT32) from my old computer which had the AMD motherboard attached and that boots up fine.. Is it a harddrive problem? anything to do with NTFS and FAT 32?

You need to format the hard drive and re-install everything .
All drivers/ chipsets/etc... are different

It's because you changed the motherboard. You are going to have to reformat AND call Microsoft and BEG with your key in hand to activate, if it doesn't allow you to activate.

But instead of just trying to boot up, you are going to have to reformat that hard drive. So if there are files on there you want to keep, I suggest you hook it to another computer as a slave dive and get them off. Liz

ok cheers guys and girl. thats what i was fearing you would say, but nevermind, thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom