Unknown issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgreligion

Solid State Member
I've been having some major computer problems. I'm guessing it's some sort of hardware conflict with windows XP but I'm not sure. This computer ran fine for about 3 months, and then I started getting Internet Explorer errors constantly. When I looked at the error report, it was normally an error with a different dll every time. I also was getting MSN messenger errors, and occasional system errors. My computer also randomally restarted. I did numerous virus scans and never picked up anything. Eventually I got a blue screen when booting up my computer, and I had to reformat. I did a clean boot, and reformatted it to XP home edition. (I spent a week looking for a disc, since I didn't especially look forward to puchasing it again) After numerous driver issues, the computer is finally working again. At least I thought it was. There is absolutely nothing on this computer, and I'm already getting internet explorer errors again, along with messenger errors. My computer has shut itself down twice now because of a paged memory error, and a stack dump error (I think). Any idea what could be causing this? Since I already had to reformat once, I'm pretty frustrated. :angry:

Quick rundown of system specs:

2.4 celeron processor
128 mb DDRAM
40 gb harddrive
Not sure about the video card...it's some sort of Intel card.
200 watt power supply.

Thanks for the help.

Power Supply Problems.
Download and install MotherBoard Monitor, stress the CPU and see if your voltages are dropping below the specified levels.
-Target

That's what I was afraid of. For some reason, I'm having trouble finding my motherboard model. Is it listed in system information?

My computer did that exact thing when running windows XP with 128 MB's of ram. Ounce i upgraded, it all stopped. But yes it could be the power supply.

An update:

I've posted at several forums, and I've been told it was a memory problem, a hard drive problem, or a power supply problem. I'm tryng to narrow it down. I downloaded a faulty ram tester, and I in face have faulty memory. But I'm not sure that that is the whole problem. I'm hoping it's not my hard drive.

My latest mishappening: My computer was running fine and without warning, restarted itself. When I got back on, I was told "System has recovered from a serious errors". That's normally what happens when it restarts itself. But all my setting seemed to be erased this time. My icons weren't there, and in msconfig my startup items weren't there. It's sounds like a virus, but I've scanned numerous times, and reformatted my hard drive twice. So I don't think it's that. :D

A faulty memory could cause all those problems. If I read your last post correctly and you do state that you did find that you do have a faulty memory, then you have to get that replaced first before you can move on to anything else. If there is anything else wrong, then you won't be able to find or diagnose it correctly until then

When my computer randomally restarts, it makes a minidump. Out of curiousity and for future reference, would that be a sign of bad memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom