universal voltage compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoAlpha

Solid State Member
going from USA 170 voltage to 220 foreign. Do my laptop and PDA chargers automatically adjust, or do I need new chargers? IF the answer is Yes, I'm going to bite something, hard. Also, if the answer is yes, where in the world do I get new chargers? I know you need a plug adaptor to fit the socket, but if you just do that without adjusting to voltage will fry the thing.

By trasformer do you mean the little thingamabob you stick on the end to make it fit the outlet, or the big brick-like thing halfway through my laptop charger cord? (The PDA cradle doesn't have one.) Bec. the little outlet transformer is no problem- 1.99 at the local electronics store. But htey told me that my appliance would fry if it wasnt compatible with the voltage.

I just checked the label on the cradle plug, and it says INPUT 120V~. does that mean 120 and up, or just 120?

The label on the laptop brick says 110-240. I guess that includes 220?

LeoAlpha said:
going from USA 170 voltage to 220 foreign

where the hell'd you get 170 voltage in the us?

usually on power supplies, there is just a switch to switch it to 200 volts, but i dont know about laptops. does the charger plug even fit into the socket?

most laptops are auto sensing for voltage or have a manual switch on them, all you need is a converter for the plug itself for that country.You can get them at radioshack. as far as your pda
most do not convert 110 to 220 and you will need a voltage converter also available at radioshack

if your "brick" as you called it says 110 - 240 then all you need is a plug adapter (to make it fit the socket in europe) so the laptop will be fine... however you will need to either buy a transformer/voltage converter(radioshack, or any good electronics store will have one of these) for your PDA or source a european cradle for it (available from the manufacturer or off ebay)

*by transformer i mean a voltage transformer not a plug shape adapter. as yes you will fry the PDA on our more powerful current without getting a 220 to 110 converter!

Thanks, I think I get it. And the best part is, I dont need to fix up the PDA situation- my charger wasn't working, and they sent me one with all the adaptors and compatibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom