Uninstall HD method ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy

Baseband Member
I run Vista,
I have a 2nd internal HD I hooked up a while back.
Don't want it now, just wondering the best method/order of uninstall....

Which order is best.
Do the system uninstall, then physically unhook it, or the reverse ?

p.s. also, since when I initially set it up I had to go into the Bios setting to
set the order of which HD started 1st, will I have to remove the uninstalled one
from the list or is the system smart enough to figure that out ?

No its not an OS drive just an extra one I had to store pics etc.... now I have a new external,
so just want to get it out/of the system.....

Sit down the system and remove the drive. There is no special tricks or anything that needs to be done.

Mak, did you mean shut down the system ??

If so I can do, just didn't know if the system would still be expecting it etc..

Yes shut down the system completely. Open the case, remove the drive.

Upon restart yes the system will expect the drive to be there. But the BIOS will not detect it and then Windows just won't show that drive attached or the drive letter anymore. Nothing more is needed.

It's possible you may have installed software or otherwise setup links that point to a file on that 2nd drive so you might get a message when you click on a link that complains that it can't find that file. If you used the 2nd drive for data storage only it shouldn't be a problem.

Since you mentioned you stored pics on that drive, you may have photo viewer/edit software that created an index or db of your pics. If you open that software, it will complain that it can't find the files. In that case you should be able to point it to a different location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom