un expected comp shutdown wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

betaone

Beta member
hmm about 30 mins ago i walked away from bestbuy a proud owner of a radeon 9800 pro, i go home i install it and i hook up my computer, everything is working fine and running smoothly untill i turn on a demo the GFX card cd had, about couple secs into the demo my computer shuts down and well, dosent turn on again, looking back im tracing the problem to my powersupply burning out (since i have 2 cd rom drives and 2 hard drives ontop of the new 9800 pro, it had to have given out sometime i guess) i am unclear of how to figure out the wattage my powersupply provides, also i do not even know how to tell if the powersupply was actualy the thing that broke, can anyone confirm the problem befor i go out and pay bestbuy couple hundred bux just to tell me i have connected powercords incorectly or something..

I have had a few problems with power supplies before. There is an easy way to check the wattage of your power supply, simply look at the sticker that is usually on the side of it, you may have to unscrew it from your case. If you want to check the fuses inside the power supply that will give you an idea if it was a blown fuse due to all the peripherals. Otherwise you can ask a friend if you can borrow his power supply just to see if that works. Power supplies are fairly cheap, 15-30 bucks for a 450w, which would probably be enough to run everything you have. Your problem sounds a lot like what mine was before though, so i can almost assure you that you didn't do anything wrong w/ the video card. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom