Umm AM3 version 940???? - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Umm AM3 version 940????

I like the ASUS board, he originally wanted it too. EVGA makes good boards, but to each their own.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

That combo deal with save you 22 bucks with that RAM I picked out. So with those changes, it comes out to be a total of $1,334.62 after shipping, minus 90 bucks in MIRs.

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Running on empty.

Send a message via AIM to chesirecat1701 Send a message via MSN to chesirecat1701 Send a message via Yahoo to chesirecat1701

Thanks for the input, as to the case..

I think the Cosmos looks great, I'm at the point where I like simple yet sleek

I choose that case for many reasons besides looks though:

-Cooler Master Makes Quality cases
-Size is a big plus
-cable management
-PSU location
-noise reduction

(everything my first build DIDN'T have)

I didn't include an aftermarket heat sink because I plan on water cooling and the money for that will come from when I sell my current comp, so I won't have a fit if I have to go a week or so without really overclocking,

I chose that motherboard due to the 16+2 phase CPU power supply, the OC Palm monitor of course, and the Solid Jap Capacitors, I don't like the look of the heatsinks personally but when I water cool I'm also grabbing chipset blocks so it won't matter, I do like the P6T but at this amount of money I'd rather just go all out and get what I want

Like I said I've been deadset on this build for a while, I got put off track with AMD but simply said I might as well go Intel for just $400 more, idk whether you changed the RAM, I like the set I choose simply because the heatsinks have the "i7" logo, yeh I know why am I paying $15 more a logo, right? lol
although when it comes down to it I don't really care much

And I want the 850 Corsair PSU because I will xFire in the near future, and I'm going to be overclocking the i7 a considerable amount when my water cooling is all ready,
and that is going to be alot of draw, enough so that I'd rather spend the $25 or however much extra for the extra headroom and my peace of mind

And for the water cooling I'm starting with a Quad Radiator, the Apogee GTZ block, the MP355 pump, a dual 5.25" res, the chipset blocks, all the necessary hook ups and hoses,

peek this rad

Petra's Tech Shop heh

Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Well you logic is well thought out, so I'll give you points there. And your reasons are valid. I didn't know you were going to W/C, with that in mind then your idea is the best and those W/C components look good as far as I can tell, but I'm no W/C expert. I trust you have followed Aspire's advice.

Most mobos $100 and up from good brands use jap capacitors. My tp45 does. The OC pal monitor is cool, Asus has always had things like that to one up the other guys, but it's not needed. i can understand the need to impress your friends however.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #34 (permalink)
Patron

Why are you going xfire? its 100% of a cost increase for a 60% performance increase at best and if you have a sub 22" monitor then its less then that.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #35 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
Why are you going xfire? its 100% of a cost increase for a 60% performance increase at best and if you have a sub 22" monitor then its less then that.
Xfire scales better than that, most games see 80-90%. Granted if he has a small monitor then it will be less. Xfire still scales better than SLI.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Running on empty.

Send a message via AIM to chesirecat1701 Send a message via MSN to chesirecat1701 Send a message via Yahoo to chesirecat1701

xFire isn't immediate but I am on a 24" aka 1900*1200 and the xFire results in most benchmarks (give or take a couple due to driver support issues) are as zmatt said 80%-90% scalability (:

link if you need:
techPowerUp :: AMD Radeon HD 4890 CrossFire Review :: Page 1 / 29
ATI Radeon HD 4890 in Crossfire Introduction :: TweakTown

ATI has hit a sweet spot with the newest Catalyst release

and I really don't care to impress my friends, I live away from everyone anyways, so I'm usually at their house chilling, also consider that 85% of my friends don't know squat about computers so it doesn't much matter when then come over

I prefer to be able to monitor items such as voltages, temps, speeds, changes in core usage, etc,etc

a maybe I stumbled on the jap cap thing but I've read in a few review that not all of the base P6T's capacitors are jap caps, although, even if true, it's performance is still on the same level as the "Deluxe Edition", still boils down to a matter of personal preference it seems
Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #37 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

id suggest holding out just a wee bit on the card. i dont see any non-reference cooler 4890 on newegg, and they will undoubtedly be out in a short time. and cool immensely better.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
Running on empty.

good point, but I will be water cooling the card(s) too, just have to wait till a water block comes out,

but I still have to round up the last $350 so at this moment I'm not quite ready to order,
I may be mistaken but I've read that ATI has made leaps and bounds and the cooling performance of their reference coolers over this last year or so,
maybe I'm ill informed
Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #39 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to gurusan

Well I run 2048x1152 on my 4870 1GB and it handles everything pretty well...so I'd think a single 4890 should do you pretty well.... in fact I'm downgrading to a 4850 1GB to get a little money back.

I will be vmodding the 4850 and clocking it up to 800+ though
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #40 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder4000 View Post
good point, but I will be water cooling the card(s) too, just have to wait till a water block comes out,

but I still have to round up the last $350 so at this moment I'm not quite ready to order,
I may be mistaken but I've read that ATI has made leaps and bounds and the cooling performance of their reference coolers over this last year or so,
maybe I'm ill informed
no, they work pretty good. but dude they are LOUD. and the non-ref are way more quiet and cool quite a bit better.