Ultra ATA mobo to support SATA HDD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Ultra ATA mobo to support SATA HDD

I just bought a new Samsung 120gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache SATA HDD and my mobo only supports ATA with IDE cables. My old HDD was a Maxtor 80 gb 5400 ATA100 HDD which i still have some files i want off of it onto my new one. Iv already ordered a PCI SATA controller card..it was the only one i could find that would fit into my PCI BUS slots for 20 bucks. All the others were a little more money, 30-40$ but they didnt show they would fit into the mobo. Im just wondering if this will work..with that controller card. How would i get those files from my old ATA100 HDD to a new SATA HDD too..do i need a special adapter or something? Once i get those files off im hooking up a fan anyways. Thanks alot

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...124-101&depa=1

Here is the link to the card i bought that will only work with my BUS slots. If you search for other SATA controller cards there connectors are much different.

__EDIT__

The connectors at the bottom show one long connection and one seperated small one..on others it shows 2 seperated small ones and one long connection between them. Does one connection just hang off the end or something? Im confused. I have pictures of my Mobo if needed. Thanks again

Old 05-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The card that i am buying is really cheap..so i dont think it comes with any floppy or CD with it. Is that a problem? Yeah im going to put Windows XP on the new SATA drive for a fresh start. How do i set master and slave drives..will it automatically take me to that on first boot up of the new installed drive?

Old 05-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Bump
Closed Thread