The ultimate monitor adapter!

Zekester2097

In Runtime
I was helping my sister pack up her things (shes movin out of state). I was going thru the closet, and I noticed my dad's old PC bag he used to use. In that, I found a DVI to HDMI adapter. I freaked the s**t out because my IBM monitor has a DVI on it. (I also found a DVI to VGA adapter, goes to my sister's macbook). I tested it. It works on my PC. BUT when I plug my PS3 into it, the screen stays blank... Fix? even if I can't use my PS3 with it, its still a pretty awesome adapter...
the adapter looks like this :
51PdaaTE3UL._SX355_.jpg

It's meant for going from DVI to HDMI, not HDMI to DVI... That aside, I know the PS3 has issues switching to different video modes... Try the below to see if it *might* work.

Procedure to reset video settings on the PS3
Make sure that you have only 1 type of video cable connected between your PS3 and your TV or monitor, an HDMI cable is optimal. If you have multiple video connections the reset sometimes does not work.

Make sure that your TV or monitor is turned on and set to the proper input for your PS3.

With your PS3 in standby mode, turn your console on using the front power button and hold the button down.With the button held down, You will here one beep when the console first turns on, and, after about 4-5 seconds, you will here a second beep. When you here the second beep let go of the button.

If you watch the screen you should see it flicker once or twice and then your system should boot up and go to a screen to confirm your video settings. Simply confirm the settings and you should be able to resume playing your PS3 as normal.

If your system does not boot up and give you the confirmation screen for your video settings, then you should shut the system off and restart the system as normal. This will usually finalize the reset of the video settings.

If your system still is not displaying video then please repeat steps 1-5 again. It is unlikely but, you may have to reset the video 3-4 times before it works with your console. The reason for this is unknown.

The procedure to reset video ,on your PS3, should be complete at this point and you should be back up and running as normal.

NOTES: PS3 "slim" models are always in standby mode when plugged in. PS3 "fat" models must have the rear power switch turned on. If you are only using the composite video cables, then there will be no confirmation screens for your video settings.

Not all DVI to HDMI adapters will work the other way around, I have a hand full here that will not work the other way around. All comes down to how well they are made. I will only buy adapters that state specifically if they can be used one way, or both ways when looking at them.

There's no chip that does the passthrough, so any adapter should be able to work either way. More than likely it all has to do with DL vs non-DL on monitor and adapter. They have to match for it to work. All of my monitors accept DL-DVI so they all work with all the adapters I have, and I have a box full. I've only been able to do audio pass through once with a single TV paired to a single card and probably on a specific adapter. Nearly **** my pants when I saw the output in the audio menu.

Rather odd to have audio-pass through on the TV side of things, then again, they probably assume someone may have a proper DVI cable that could pass audio and just direct connect that way.

I know there is no chip inside the adapter, but, there are varying build qualities as with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom