Is typical household current enough for 1000 Watt psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
Is it safe to use a 1000 watt psu on a normal household plug? I would think it is because watts = amps X volts. Home voltage is 120V so 8 X 120 = 960. I assume it won't blow a breaker. What do you guys think?

Thanks

is that how it works?

Hmm not sure but considering most large household appliance use over 1000w of power( for example my halogen heater says 2kw) it must be ok.

I have a 1250 watt power supply on a typical circuit and it's just fine.

Another thing, just because you have a 1000 watt unit, that doesn't mean it's using a 1000 watts when you turn it on. A 1000 watt power supply has the potential of supplying a 1000 watts of power, but it only supplies what is needed for the task at hand.

As an example, think of your house and it's appliances as a PC and the Power Company as the Power Supply. The Power Company has the potential to supply millions of watts of power, but when you switch the Main Circuit Breaker of your house to the On Position it doesn't supply a million watts to your home, it only supplies what you need.

Edit:
The wattage is being determined by the volts being generated, mainly 12 volts with a PC Power Supply (thou a few other voltages are being generated, 5 volts, 3.3 volts).

watts = volts x amps
1000 watts = 12 volts x amps
amps = 1000 watts / 12 volts
1000 watts = 12 volts x 83.3 amps

Most appliances like your washer/dryer fridge etc have a special plug into special wiring. You can't just get a fridge and pop it into a wall outlet. With a computer, if you're using a 5000w psu is inconsequential unless your PC is drawing 5000w. With a 1kw psu generally speaking your pc isn't drawing close to 1kw. If you are then you might run into problems but generally speaking you're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom