Is typical household current enough for 1000 Watt psu? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Is typical household current enough for 1000 Watt psu?

Is it safe to use a 1000 watt psu on a normal household plug? I would think it is because watts = amps X volts. Home voltage is 120V so 8 X 120 = 960. I assume it won't blow a breaker. What do you guys think?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Is typical household current enough for 1000 Watt psu?

is that how it works?

Hmm not sure but considering most large household appliance use over 1000w of power( for example my halogen heater says 2kw) it must be ok.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have a 1250 watt power supply on a typical circuit and it's just fine.

Another thing, just because you have a 1000 watt unit, that doesn't mean it's using a 1000 watts when you turn it on. A 1000 watt power supply has the potential of supplying a 1000 watts of power, but it only supplies what is needed for the task at hand.

As an example, think of your house and it's appliances as a PC and the Power Company as the Power Supply. The Power Company has the potential to supply millions of watts of power, but when you switch the Main Circuit Breaker of your house to the On Position it doesn't supply a million watts to your home, it only supplies what you need.

The wattage is being determined by the volts being generated, mainly 12 volts with a PC Power Supply (thou a few other voltages are being generated, 5 volts, 3.3 volts).

watts = volts x amps
1000 watts = 12 volts x amps
amps = 1000 watts / 12 volts
1000 watts = 12 volts x 83.3 amps
Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Most appliances like your washer/dryer fridge etc have a special plug into special wiring. You can't just get a fridge and pop it into a wall outlet. With a computer, if you're using a 5000w psu is inconsequential unless your PC is drawing 5000w. With a 1kw psu generally speaking your pc isn't drawing close to 1kw. If you are then you might run into problems but generally speaking you're fine.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread