Is this the type of cable I need for my modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
Is this the type of cable I need for my modem RF Coaxial Cables

The reason I ask is because I am having modem problems. Since back in September I've had this problem where my cable modem lights begin blinking and trying to reestablish a connection. After trying resolve it as a software problem, including switching to a backup OS on a different drive, I concluded it was not a software problem. For the first few weeks I just assumed it was a problem with my ISP upgrading the lines or something. But then after jiggling the wire that plugs into modem it reestablished connectivity. But still every now and then it cuts out. This happens about twice a week and it gets annoying having to jiggle the wire. I believe the wire has a break in it at the point where it comes through the wall, because that's where tugging on it has the most immediate affect. However, I've wiggled it in other places to make it work. I've connected and reconnected it both ends to get it to work. It just seems like that's the part of the wire allows my modem to reestablish a connection within the shortest amount of time of wiggling and tugging. I can't say for sure where the break or weak part of the wire is, so I figure I should just replace the whole thing.

My uncle told me the cable type was called "coaxial". What he knows about electronics is anyone's guess, he could be right or full of BS.

Anyhow, is that the cable I need to buy to replace the one I have?

Try updating the modem.

It is not unheard of (and sadly pretty regular) that certain modems die after only a year or two of service.

If wiggling the wire truely does fix the issue you probably have a bad connector on the modem. So you'll have to replace the modem. You can purchase one at worste buy for around 60 bucks.

I'm 90% sure it's the wire; not the modem, because if I unscrew the cable going into the modem and plug it back in, it has no effect. But if I walk to the other end of the basement and jiggle the wire coming in through the wall, it almost instantly fixes the problem. So I am betting on it being the actual wire.

So again, I'm asking if the above thing called a "RF Coaxial Cable" is what I need, or is it some other type of cable?

The cable you listed above will work, but it's better to get shorter cables since the longer it is, the more signal loss you'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom