Two questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Two questions

Hello everyone this is my first time on this forum and I just have two pretty simple questions.

1. I recently purchased a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus hard drive and it has an ATA serial port. I bought the HD because it was a steal ($40.00) and it is brand new. Now this is the problem. My current computer which is crap (Pentium III 533mhz) doesn't have a ATA serial port. I wasn't exactly planning on using this HD with the computer I have now but instead I was hoping to use it on a computer that I am building in the near future. I haven't kept up on much new technology so my main question is do most newer motherboards come fitted with a ATA port? Or will I need to buy a pci card of some sort to make the connection?

2. Since I am building a second computer and keeping the 533 I currently have as a multimedia pc which will be connected to my home theatre system for mp3s, video, etc.. is there a way I can transfer the 20+ gigs of media I have from my old pc to my new one when it is built without having to burn everything to cds? I heard about some tools that might help but I haven't had the time to look into them. Is Firewire a possibility and what are some average prices?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Do you mean ATA or SATA, the whole "ATA serial" thing kinda throws me off in regards to what you are talking about.

But anyways, all new motherboards now should support both ATA-133 and Serial ATA, so that won't be a problem at all regardless of what you have.

In regards to the data transfer issue, you can invest in a network card for each computer and a router. You can set up your new PC as a network server for the other PC and set the other PC to boot from the network.

This means you can literally keep the drive on your media computer empty and easily access all files from your other computer without having to move any data around. You simply have to keep your server computer on when using the other one, and you are set.

Intel C2D E6320 / AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Gigabyte 965P DS3 / DFI nF4 Ultra-D
2GB OCZ Gold PC2-6400 / 2GB OCZ Gold PC4000
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 02-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

like above, just set to file sharing, share out to the target drive (say computer name is bob, so go \\bob\c$ to browse entire drive contents. U should be able to just hook up via USB.
If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 02-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

In regards to the data transfer issue, you can invest in a network card for each computer and a router. You can set up your new PC as a network server for the other PC and set the other PC to boot from the network.
Your new mobo should come with ethernet built in, so you should really only have to buy a NIC for the old computer (as cheap as like $5), if it doesn't alreayd have one. If you are just connecting the two computers you could also just use a crossover cable rather than getting a router or hub. Your old computer doesn't have firewire, so thats out, it only has USB 1.0, that is slower than crap, so an ethernet connection is definately the way to go.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Hybridchemistry

If you dont want to network, but i highly recomend any way for the media PC, you could put the HDs in one comp then do xcopy in DOS, if you know what that is. But eyah, the server thingy sounds like your best bet
Old 03-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I will more then likely go with the server setup. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Closed Thread