Two questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayhawker01

In Runtime
My buddies work pc is running at 61-64 C at idle. Seems a bit high for me. He has a 2000 AMD. If the heatsink as those rubber standoffs does he still need thermal paste?

Second question is I have 512 ram DDR 3200. I have an extra 256 DDR pc2100 around the house. Will it slow my pc down if I put two different types of memory in? My Mobo suports it.

Thanks in advance and have a safe and fun weekend.

About your first question, you need thermal paste. The rubber thermal pad that comes with the stock hsf for the AMDXP just doesn't cut it. About your second question, DO NOT install that stick of PC2100. It will cause all of your RAM to run at PC2100 speed, therefore slowing you down. These days, RAM space isn't everything, its more about the speed.

To add on to what Beedubaya said your buddy needs to get that paste ASAP. The processor gets extremely hot and it will fry itself if ran without the thermal paste. It can be picked up quite easily at any computer type store. Tell him to be very cautious and to not run the computer unless he needs to.

You have to go into the bios of the computer. On startup their should be a key you hit on your computer generally del or f1. Sometimes its other random keys. Then you can access your hardware monitoring and the cpu temperature will be in their. Also theirs a program called mbm5 motherboard monitor 5. Try downloading that which will work also. As far as the memory dont install it. But as bee said memory isnt everything i dont disagree but its a very volitale component the more memory the faster that way your computer can work 100x fastter on the memory without creating temporary paging files on the harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom