Two new systems restart randomly 2800+ and 2600+

Status
Not open for further replies.

miller

Baseband Member
I recently built two new systems the first a 2800+ 1 gig matched ddr400 dual channel, nforce II ultra mobo, and fx5600xt. I installed windows with some trouble, i had to underclock everything to 266 to keep it from messing up the install. After this i installed windows xp, and updated all my drivers.

Next i turned my clock speeds back to normal 333 cpu and 400 ddr, and windows works for about ten minutes then restarts. I can't seem to figure it out, i also tried to run them at the same fsb and it still restarts. The only way it is stable is underclocked to 266 for both. I dont know if there is anyway to fix this. I have proper cooling on the cpu and ram, approved fan , and ram heatsinks.

The same thing happens to a 2600+ 512 pc2700 ram, i have tried different ram, and still no dice. I think it may be ram timing, but i cannot figure it out, if anyone has experienced this it would be great if they could give me some tips. Or help me fix the problem.

-Thanks
Miller

i think this is cause by the same thing on both systems. goto your CMOS and check what BIOS hardware monitor reports your CPU temps at. look at your processor fans to see if they are spinning, they should be plugged into CPU_FAN1.

if you have a thermal pad, which is on the retail heatsinks of many XP processors, scrape off the pad. use good quality thermal paste like artic silver white ceramique.

there is definately some problem in common with both these builds, you overlooked something while putting them together. are any of the hardware exactly identical? memory, motherboard,ect?

I have amd approved fans and i did use a thermal compound. Both processors temps are in the 40 C range. Both fans are spinning. Someone told me it may be due to ddr timings, but im not sure how that would effect it. Maybe someone else has had this happen to them. Or I was unlucky twice.

No parts are exactly identical

Different ram different cpu.

The mobo for the 2800+ is an ECS N2U400-A Socket A AMD DDR Motherboard (400SB) (PWS-MB-AMD)

I'm not sure of the ram type, but the 2800 has 1 gig ddr400 of mid grade ram, but even with other ram that works fine it restarts.

The mobo for the 2600 is a Syntax Sv400 kt400 chipset.
with mid grade pc2700 that runs fine in another system.

Both have fresh installs of windows.

Both seem like they should be working properly.

Is ram timing an issue here?

-Miller

I heard that synchronising the RAM and CPU FSB or making sure the RAM speed can be divided into the CPU FSB evenly makes it more stable.

for example
an AMD Athlon XP with a 333MHZ FSB, get RAM with 333MHZ speed
or
P4 with 800MHZ FSB, you should get DDR400 (2 x 400 = 800)

yes good point, have you adjusted any memory settings? and please tell us what power supplies you are using for both computers.

I have messed with all the memory settings, i dont really know about the timings, but i do know that
the xp2800 system is stable when the ram is running at 266fsb. I messed with the timings and it didnt seem to make a differnce. The only problem is to run the ram at that slow of a speed i have to turn down the fsb of the cpu. Still it seems that the ram and the cpu should at least be able to run at the same fsb of 333 and have no problems.

The 2600+ system has a different motherboard, it is a kt400 chipset.

There has to be some kind of way to stablize the systems.

any more help would be great

-Miller

if i had this problem i would say to myself. What did i do to both systmes. Did you mess with the same things on both systmes. walla thats it there but if u didn't well now its guess and check.
http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
get the second one down and u can tell all ur specs.

Everyone needs to test there memory timings before you go anywhere .It will save you alot of headaches use this tool it works click the link .The directions to use it are simple create a bootable floppy .
MEMTest 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom