Two monitors can't be on at once with an hdmi switch

Redbeard529

Beta member
I have a two monitor setup at home and have had it working for some time now. I do a lot of work from home and plug my work laptop in to my existing monitors so I can have more room to move around the large amount of windows I constantly have open. Because of this, I have had to dig around behind my monitors in order to free the hdmi cables and change the display computer, so I recently picked up some Fosmon HDMI 3x1 pigtail switches. This is, however, where the issue lies. While I have one switch plugged in, everything works perfectly fine. As soon as I plug the second one in, the second screen goes blank. However, if I unplug the first screen, the second screen will go on correctly and take the first screen's place. The OS detects that there is a monitor there, it will just refuse to send any display data to it so the monitor goes into power saving mode. If I switch the two pigtail switches, the switch that was attached first seems to continue to work but the original working monitor now turns off with the second-attached switch. If anyone has any idea what the next diagnostic step would be for this, please let me know as I am unsure as to what may be causing this other than a defective cable (which seems to be working if it is the only one plugged in).

SPECS:
OS = Windows 10
Graphics Card = GTX 770
Monitors = Both 24", one Asus, one Dell

If any other specs would be useful, let me know. I can always through a large diag file in here, but I wasn't sure if it would be necessary.

There are two separate switches involved here. The goal is to have each monitor be able to handle a minimum of two hdmi inputs and be able to switch between them in some easier way than a full disconnect and reconnect of the cables. The switches I have are designed to be 3 inputs with 1 output and it has the ability to swap between them with a small button press.

In direct answer to your question in case I have misunderstood your angle, the switch does not mention anything about simultaneous multiple monitor output, but I am not trying to get simultaneous multiple monitor output unless you count using multiple switches. Is it possible that there is some sort of driver issue whereby the computer can only understand the use of 1? I thought that might be a possibility, but it didn't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom