Two Core CPUs- Good or Bad for home users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't read the entire thread, and proud of it lol. I just caught Nubius's post at the end and backed up what he said, heh

Neevrtheless, I 'll say it again; right now, PC games don't use multi-threading. In 12 months, when Windows Vista is released, then that's a whole different ball game....

I'll refer back to what I originally said about multi-threading in games....

Certain compute-bound tasks in games are inherently divisible, and therefore benefit from parallelism. (e.g. Physics calculations)
Most compute-bound tasks in games are not inherently divisible, and therefore would not benefit from parallelism.

Therefore, while there is some to be gained from multi-threading, the gains are mostly limited by the nature of the problems themselves, not the nature of the programming involved.

madmunki said:
"child" is disrespectful. Calling someone a child is the same as calling them adolescent or immature.

hardly disrespectful if it's the truth. you called him a jerk after he called you a child...so mature right?

I've been wondering TheHeadFL, why is it that your "desktop" uses a dual socket Opteron configuration, yet your "server" uses a Pentium 4. Seems a bit backwards but that might just be me...

4W4K3 said:
hardly disrespectful if it's the truth. you called him a jerk after he called you a child...so mature right?

I call it like I see it. Nubius feels the need to talk down to everyone he replies to in every single thread he replies in, and it angers me. People like him, who are totally full of themselves, anger me.

This isn't the first time he and I have exchanged unpleasantries in threads before. If you look around the forum you won't find me talking down to people, and you won't find me disrespecting others in other threads I post in. Yet it seems that every time he deigns to respond to something I post, he lays on a big helping of disrespect, which I resent.

So, if you wan't to call me immature for calling him out for what he is, then go right ahead and see if I care.

As for him thinking he can talk down to me like I'm a child, or someone else otherwise inferior to him in some way, forget it. I have no problem deferring when I am outclassed intellectually, but thats hardly the case here.

gaara said:
I've been wondering TheHeadFL, why is it that your "desktop" uses a dual socket Opteron configuration, yet your "server" uses a Pentium 4. Seems a bit backwards but that might just be me...

Because the "server" was built 'on the cheap' and it was the cheapest I could find under the circumstances. I just needed a box that could offload the task of running SQL2005 beta and IIS/etc off of my main desktop. I want the main portion of my computing horsepower for my workstation/desktop, which is the Dual Opteron box.

"Server" wasn't meant to imply that it was a beast of a machine. My linux box is very old and outdated, but its a 'server' in that it has no monitor or keyboard or mouse hooked up to it.

4W4K3 said:

By meaning "you" your talking to me? I didn't call him a jerk.

gaara said:

You have no idea what he uses them for, so how can you say its backwards? My server is a P3-700, while my desktop is a P4-3.2g. I dont want to play games on my 700mhz, and my File Server doesnt need a P4 - 3.2 ghz cpu.

madmunki said:
By meaning "you" your talking to me? I didn't call him a jerk.

no not you, should have stated a name. whoever pointed him out as a jerk.

TheHeadFL said:
I call it like I see it. Nubius feels the need to talk down to everyone he replies to in every single thread he replies in, and it angers me. People like him, who are totally full of themselves, anger me.

This isn't the first time he and I have exchanged unpleasantries in threads before. If you look around the forum you won't find me talking down to people, and you won't find me disrespecting others in other threads I post in. Yet it seems that every time he deigns to respond to something I post, he lays on a big helping of disrespect, which I resent.

So, if you wan't to call me immature for calling him out for what he is, then go right ahead and see if I care.

As for him thinking he can talk down to me like I'm a child, or someone else otherwise inferior to him in some way, forget it. I have no problem deferring when I am outclassed intellectually, but thats hardly the case here.

you make some large assumptions. Nubius is incredibly nice to me, and he is incredibly helpful in the majority of the threads i see him participate in.

Nubius does not "talk down to everyone he replies to in every single thread he replies in", ask the hundreds of people he helps and they will more than likely give you positive feedback about him.

you're creating a majority opinion of a person based on YOUR OWN feelings and opinions. please, this is getting ridiculous. He may not be nice to you, but you aren't exactly gracious to him either. If you want him to stop, simply ask him nicely and im sure he will understand. so far it loosk like all you do is blow your top in every thread.

TheHeadFL said:
Because the "server" was built 'on the cheap' and it was the cheapest I could find under the circumstances. I just needed a box that could offload the task of running SQL2005 beta and IIS/etc off of my main desktop. I want the main portion of my computing horsepower for my workstation/desktop, which is the Dual Opteron box.

"Server" wasn't meant to imply that it was a beast of a machine. My linux box is very old and outdated, but its a 'server' in that it has no monitor or keyboard or mouse hooked up to it.

To explain better, here is a pic of my workstation console:

http://www.fuelslut.net/hosting/uploads/myconsole3.jpg

The open box in the closet missing the PSU in that picture is my P4 box. (Currently awaiting RMA on 36GB Raptor and new PSU so its down at the moment) When it runs, its a Active Directory domain controller, DNS server, IIS server, FTP server, and it also runs SQL 2005 beta. Probably also going to offload DHCP and routing duties to it soon.
The white box with the keyboard sitting on top of it (but not hooked up) is the Slackware 10.1 box. It sits back there and gives me a place to do my development work for class and my job. I sometimes need a linux box for stuff I do, so that suits my purpose. The only way I access it is via SSH using PuTTY. Its good for mySQL/Apache and right now its also running SNMPD and TFTPD and some other misc crap. I also use it to write perl/cgi scripts.
The big black box on the floor covered in stickers is my dual Opteron box. My primary workstation with the dual monitors on it. (Though there is a KVM switch for the P4 box) I do all the workstation crap here, which is basically just Visual Studio .NET and any other type of app like that. Its general-purpose.
The laptop is obviously self explanatory, just used for when I'm on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom