Two Computers One Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
I have two computers and one monitor. I don't want to use a KVM switch. My main computer is on DVI, and the older one is analog. I have them both connected, but have never had them on at the same time. Am I able to switch back and forth with them, or is this just not a good idea?

Just use a KVM switch, and a DVI to VGA adapter to hook up your DVI monitor to the switch.

But isn't hot-swapping bad for the VGA ports on the PC/monitor? I was under the understanding that it was, although I could be wrong xD.

But isn't hot-swapping bad for the VGA ports on the PC/monitor? I was under the understanding that it was, although I could be wrong xD.
I doubt it would harm the computer, just turn off the monitor before you unplug it. I do this all the time and I have never had a problem.

Well I guess that I was told wrong then, because I was always told it was bad for the monitor/PC to hot swap 'em. Learn somethin new everyday, I guess, don't ya? xD

On the 19" SONY LCD monitor that I have, it has both VGA & DVI inputs. I have my main gaming rig hooked up to it via DVI cable, and then used to have my media rig hooked up via VGA, but it is "down for maintenance" right now... There is a button on my monitor that switches between the 2 inputs, takes about 1/2 second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom