Twin 80gb or twin 120gb SATA HD on RAID 0 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2004, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Twin 80gb or twin 120gb SATA HD on RAID 0

Hi, i'm in the process of upgrading my computer now but i'm having troubles debating on whether to get either 2 x 80gb Diamonmax Plus 9 SATA drives or the 120gb ones. I've been reading many forums and websites checkin the benchmarks on their performance but why they choose 120gb and no 80gb drives?

Old 05-24-2004, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

The preferred drive would be the 120 GB drives because of the larger storage capacity.

By choosing RAID 0 (Striping), you will want the drives to be the same size because the RAID is limited to the lowest drive capacity. In other words, if you have 2x120GB then the RAID will work good for you. If you have one drive at 80GB and the other at 120GB, the RAID will only use 80GB of the 120GB drive for the array. You basically threw away the remaining 40GB on that drive.
Closed Thread