TV Tuner Card - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default TV Tuner Card

So I've built my secondary computer up now that I've bought a new mobo and CPU (although it turns out I can't use this mobo and am exchanging it) I can still manage on my secondary machine until the new NEW motherboard arrives lol So anyway, I've never had a TV Tuner card before and I was going to put it in my room ( my main machine is in office ) I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which one to get. I was looking at this one in particular:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=321869

MSI To go with the MSI board that's in there! But beyond that, it has nice features. FM Radio is a plus, good software and looks like it should serve my simplistic needs. Now along with that, since I don't want to watch TV on my computer monitor....I wanted to get this little setup:

http://www.svideo.com/svideocoax.html

Because my TV doesn't have an S-Video in, just good ole Coaxial cable. Now I hear computers on the TV look crummy, but will I get a decent picture and resolution and be able to watch TV like it was clear like normal TV? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-07-2004, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

It looks like a good TV card for the price...It was rated 3.5 of 5 stars by PC Upgrade Magazine. in their June issue. Here are seven others that they looked at and rated out of 5 stars:

NOTE: Theses are the prices of the cards in June, so they will more than likely have gone done by then.

1.Adaptec VIDEOh! DVD Media Center PCI - $169 - 4 stars ([url]www.adaptec.com)

2. ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 - $199 - 4.5 stars (www.ati.com)

3.ATI TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition - $99 - 3.5 stars (www.ati.com)

4.AVerMedia Ultra TV PCI 350 - $99 - 4 stars ([www.avermedia-usa.com)

5. eVGA.com Personal Cinema (nVidia GeForce440 MX) - $179 - 4.5 stars (www.evga.com)

6.Hauppauge Win TV PVR-350 - $199 - 4.5 stars (www.hauppauge.com)

7.Pinnacle PCTV Pro - $89 - 3 stars (www.pinnaclesys.com)

So there you have it. I may get one of these myself when xmas comes 'round, but I dunno which one it's going to be. If you were going to watch it on your comp, then here's a site that offers a "thingy" like TV Guide channel, where it show what's on and stuff, it's called SageTV 2.0, but they've probably come out with a later version by now. Sorry though, you'll have to find it within the manufacturer's site: www.freytechnologies.com

Old 10-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well if I'm able to watch TV then I'll have a guide, because it shows the TV Guide on Channel 20 lol so that really won't be a problem. I see why the ones you linked get so many stars is because they are pretty expensive. That's why I looked at that MSI one. But I definitely don't want it crappin out real soon either.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

Winfast makes a great tv tuner card, thats the one I have. I cant find it on newegg, but it should be there.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 10-07-2004, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

What kind of options, software, and good stuff like that does it have?
Old 10-08-2004, 06:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by AND_YOU_ARE
Winfast makes a great tv tuner card, thats the one I have. I cant find it on newegg, but it should be there.
I bought that from your suggestion/comment on it I read all the reviews at Newegg, and they were pretty good but had one thing in common, which I came across as well (annoying as hell!)...

I'm not quite sure what this is called/how to say it, but the PCI card's metal plate that faces out was a little too long. I ended up bending it enough to get it to go on the side of the motherboard...which I really don't like doing and was a bad idea in retrospect, but what's done is done Anyhow, I must say, compared to the previous card I had: it is GREAT. I actually get FM stations, and the TV pictures actually come in. I had a few other minor problems, which were:

-When you go to install the WinFast Entertainment "Center" (the Radio/TV programs), the auto-launch link didn't work. I had to go to the CD drive and run the install file (no big deal).
-The FM tuner worked fine right off. The TV tuner crashed every time I started it. I went to their web site and downloaded the latest drivers (.003 difference in version, I believe), but it fixed it. Not that it really matters, but they weren't digitally signed either.

I know, that's a lot of bad, but so far I am really happy with it for the price. I have it set up to record my shows daily, and burn them directly to a CD -- which works great, as I can copy/give them to friends (which is another thing I was wanting to do ) I have not yet looked at the other software that came with it, but I know it says it comes with a video editing program, sound manipulation of some sorts...I'll be looking into that soon Another thing I like is how easy it is to record songs. I always liked the idea of hearing a song I liked on the radio, and simply pressing "Record" to get it--for multiple reasons.

Mmm...good card, so far Err, now it's going to break, isn't it!!

Oh yeah, it runs at ~$45 on Newegg.com. I have the link saved on another computer if it can't be found (too lazy ATM )
-X
Old 10-08-2004, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

post the link anyway although I'm going to go look at it right now lol. The MSI one I was looking at can also get FM Stations, remote control, video editing, live TV rewind and record and all that good stuff. And yeah I believe you can mark your shows and stuff like that too. But I mainly want to use it so I can have my computer in control of my music and TV in my room I'm going to get an s-video to coaxial cable convertor so I can plug the s-video out on my graphics card to the coaxial cable in the back of my TV. Don't know how good of a resolution or how clear the TV will appear on TV through my computer though =/ but I guess I'll be finding out.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...122-132&depa=0

Thats the link for the card. It is a very good card, both my room mate and I have it on our pc at college. I did not have as many problems as Xula stated. I found you do have to get the latest drivers from the net. I did not have any problems of it crashing or it not fitting in the pci slot. The software is great. For both the video and the audio. I wish it had am radio as well as fm. I got it for 42 from newegg last july, so idk whats up with the price now. But it is worth 48. Check it out. It is a quality card.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Closed Thread