TV as Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xessention

Solid State Member
I have a GeForce 5600XT it has an S-Video Port and some funky looking port that is used to hook up to HDTV's is their anyway i can rig up a system to hook my tv up as a second monitor hopefully with the less buying of equipment that i can.

Otherwise what do i need to get this all running?

If there is any other information you need let me know and ill fill any blanks.

Thanx.

you can get s-video port to RCA (normal tv) plug. I have one sitting here on my desk, it looks like this:

DCP_0225.jpg

That is all you need.

Oh ur kiddin thats all excellent thanx for that!

Just one more thing once connected to the tv do u tune iy in to be able to see the image? Also how would i connect sound as well?

Thanx. lol so happy nearly done.

Usually nvidia cards use a propertiary cable.

This cables has outputs for s-video and RCA, but you need a breakout.

Also TV image quality is crap, so don't expect to be able to truly use a TV screen as a computer monitor

no, you dont need to tune the tv. When i tried it, it didnt need to be tuned at all. And yes, the picture quality is rather bad, the tv has a low res. but you can set it on a high res. So the signal may be good quality, but the TV will interpret it as low res - a tv would be crappy for a monitor. However if you want to play movies on your tv screen, it may just work. This would be good for a home theater setup.

For audo, it is a bit trickier. You need to get another converter depending on your sound system. If you use the TV's inbuilt speaker, you need to get a converter to convert the plug from the sound card that looks like this:

42-2157.jpg

to something that looks like this:

RCA.jpg

Now with RCA, there are three cables. Video is Yellow, and the other 2 is sound. If you have only one audio cable plugged in it is mono, if you have both plugged in it is stereo. You may need to get something special to get the one audio output to properly do stereo with the 2 inputs for the tv.

If you are using some hokey stereo system it will be different depending on your system.

would be great if your tv had svideo in. depending on the quality of the svid to rca converter, you could get a black granule pattern displayed across the image when using a converter.

for the sound you will need a 2.5mm stereo plug to 2 rca(phono) plugs. this should be a single piece about an inch long. they cost between 3-5 dollars at radioshack.

Thanx planning on buying the adaptors this weekend.

thanx for all ur help. and if i have any more questions lol ull be hearing from me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom