TV or Monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2003, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default TV or Monitor

Considering the power of todays video cards, what is the difference between using a standard CRT monitor and a regular television with svideo input?

What, if any, level of resolution do you lose when going with a regular TV and what specs do you need to look at with a television that give you an idea of what video quality you will get?

I've been thinking about this for a little while and I'm not sure a regular television wouldn't provide the same level of performance that a standard CRT monitor provides..

Thermaltake Xaser II A5000C (w/ 5 case fans)
AMD 2500+ (OCed to 3200+)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1 Gig Corsair XMS low latency pc3200
2x 80g Maxtor SATA (w/ Raid 0)
128Mb Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
480w Thermaltake PSU
Video Capture Card ( ROCKS!)
16 Sony DVD Rom
52x/32x/52x Optorite CDRW
Old 08-29-2003, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

it depends on the max resolution of your tv and the scan of the input ie: 1080i 720p 540p (i think its 540) you want one that is progressive scan (p) not interlaced (i) unless you are looking at the higher resolution (1080) and i would also look to see wether it supports 1024 * 768 (thats what i run everything at) cuz most tvs will only support 640 *480, which i think looks crappy, but you could just shrink your icons on the desktop, but that wont help your games much that run @ 1024*768

Old 08-29-2003, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Lostman Send a message via AIM to Lostman Send a message via Yahoo to Lostman

I don't know about all that stuff when it comes to TV's, but I have a Panasonic 27" with the 3 line digital comb filter and a Geforce Ti4400 on my computer. I plugged it into my TV and it wasn't bad for games, but you couldn't read any text. Blurry. And my TV is a step below HDTV. I had to adjust my res to 800 x 600.
Closed Thread