tv-laptop problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracie

Beta member
Hi all. Got a cry for help from a friend last night, but in an area I am not too familiar with.

His wife wants to display their holiday photos ( stored on his laptop) on the television.

He went to Maplins and they said 'ah yes, you need a Scart lead'.

That worked fine, except that the TV is not showing colour.

He goes back to Maplins and they said, 'ah yes, you need a universal modulator'.

Didn't work - needed an aerial wire (?)

Went back to Maplins, bought a stringy thing, took it home tried to connect it to the universal modulater box.

Didn't fit

Went back to Maplins with dark thoughts brewing in his head and dumped the lot on the counter.

'Ah yes, we sold you the wrong one, all you need is a male to female adapter and everything will be fine!'

Still didn't work.

He phones Maplins, not trusting himself to get within arms reach of any necks.

'Ah' says Maplins. 'That does sometimes happen, it's yer drivers....download the latest.'

He does ( Nvidia), but it doesn't seem to have the desired effect, and Maplins have now lost interest and are not able to help, so he phones me up....

Drivers I can help with, but the hardware side I am hazy about. My graphics card has a TV-out lead - a mini-din with four pins. S-video - zat right? I have never connected it. Is that all you need?

Would appreciate the benefit of your superior knowledge here so that we can help him before his wife sues for divorce, the poor man is desperate!

What connector are u trying to use?? just connect your s-video cable straight to the tv. as simple as that and then activate the clone through tv out at the nvidia properties.

He has got a Gforce 2 card. That is all I know at present ( he is 25 miles away ). I have sent him an e-mail of a website which should help, but being so ignorant of theses things myself I felt I ought to find out what is involved, hence my query on here. By S-video you mean the cable with a mini din on each end with four pins in?
For my Radeon 9600 there is also a lead with two jacks, another socket and mini din lead, very short, plus the one I think you call s-video, oh, and a male/female plug. I assume they plug into scart - and I understand the scart has to be one with a switching capability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom