turning off computer equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I was concerned about my computer equipment.
I just got myself a 19 inch samsung 193P, it has got a touch sensitive on off button in the front. it gets pretty warm on the top edge of the bezel with use. I was wonderig shoudl i unplug it at nights or something?

I recently bought an HP PS2410 printer,scanner,copier, it always remains on with the lcd display glowing away at night. i was wondering if i should turn that off too?

Always turn off everything. Not only will you save yourself/parents money on electricity, But you'll also extend the life of your Pc & Components.

So yes, turn it off at night.

to turn of my 193P lcd screen i just need to touch the touch sensitive button, right?
i dont need to physically pull out the lcd's plug?

actually, turning off a computer has NEVER been proven to extend a systems life, and some argue that it will actually shorten its life... depending on which side you take. The argument behind this is as follows: When you turn on a system, you've got to realize what happens at the smallest levels. You have small resistors, capacitors, etc build into the cards. Now, we'll use resistors as an example. When ever you have power applied, you have resistors to manage the intake within sections, kind of stepping it down (to dumb it down a little and not get to indepth). Now, of course what happens with the remaining energy that is 'resisted?' It gets converted to heat energy, which as a consequence ALSO expands the resistor (classic heat conversion and dissapation theory). So, will in a powered state the resistor will expand slightly. Now, power it down, it will contract, again power conversion to heat, no power, no heat... it shrinks. Do this over and over and over again and eventually it will reach its threshold and will blow. Its a sound and true theory, HOWEVER, its also not sure how long newer components will work until they reach a weak state and will just snap.

killians45 said:
actually, turning off a computer has NEVER been proven to extend a systems life, and some argue that it will actually shorten its life... depending on which side you take. The argument behind this is as follows: When you turn on a system, you've got to realize what happens at the smallest levels. You have small resistors, capacitors, etc build into the cards. Now, we'll use resistors as an example. When ever you have power applied, you have resistors to manage the intake within sections, kind of stepping it down (to dumb it down a little and not get to indepth). Now, of course what happens with the remaining energy that is 'resisted?' It gets converted to heat energy, which as a consequence ALSO expands the resistor (classic heat conversion and dissapation theory). So, will in a powered state the resistor will expand slightly. Now, power it down, it will contract, again power conversion to heat, no power, no heat... it shrinks. Do this over and over and over again and eventually it will reach its threshold and will blow. Its a sound and true theory, HOWEVER, its also not sure how long newer components will work until they reach a weak state and will just snap.

Your actually going to argue that keeping a computer on will not shorten the life of a computer? Even though your technically saving hours? even years in total off your components? Plus I actually agree with you though - to some extent. Now will it does shorten the life technically, but it sure as hell beats keeping it on (to me anyways) . Plus im cheap and can't afford a bigger electricity bill than i already got. Ha

like killian said, no it wont technically shorten its life... it may extend it(i of course am not shure exactly cause iv never gotten a strait answer) but very likely could be possible... for example.. like a car- kepping it on and running, is more healthy for the engine then turning it off and on, but the other stuff on the car wears down, like brakes/tires/belts oposed to being turned off.

yep, but like I said this is NOT a proven theory, but it IS based on factual science. Older computers, it was better to keep on but the newer ones, well... thats hard to answer. As my prev post you'll notice I never REALLY gave a straight answer because, there has never been any real answer yet. Only scientific application to it

don't you put a strain on your computer when it works hard to boot up every morning? And if you leave it on it won't really do much as long as you close all programs.

i have to leave mine on anyhow, cause im always uploading/downloading, but wen your not doing anything, yea the cpu bairly gets used. even with the programs i leave it open with, the cpu bairly usess 5% and im ona old 1.1celeron.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[about leaving pc on/off?]
if no one knows the answer, or if one of the mod's(such as micro) doesnt think to positivly about being right by an edjucated guess.

i think someone(likea rich kid with time to waist,or someone with the resources looking for the same answer) should put together 2 exact same pc systems, use them both, but leave one on Constantly, and turn the other off at night. and see witch one actually starts to suffer from Hardware failur first. <--i know no one would do that but i would be interested in the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom