trying to install win xp sp1 so i can install sp3, but get an error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Log into Safe Mode and turn off Auto Restart upon system failure. Right click on My Computer select Properties. There go under the advanced Tab. Select Settings under the Startup and Recovery. There you will see the check box to remove to stop the auto restart.

That will give you the time needed to see the Stop Error code and get the information we need.

ok, the blue screen is giving me the following error:

STOP: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xbacc70bc, 0xbacc6db8)

thanks. i am at work now and not in front of the computer(the one we are talking about that is...) but i was thinking about just backing up all the info i have on that drive that i want to save to another drive, wiping out everything on it and reformatting, then do a fresh install of windows. i have had that HDD for 7 years and it has had a ton of stuff come and go(i swapped this old drive from another comp into this brand new one), and with all the problems i have been having so far, i think it might be best to just start fresh... then if i still have the driver issue go from there. what do you guys think, good idea or no?

Bug Check 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Resolving the Problem

If you are not equipped to debug this problem, you should use some basic troubleshooting techniques.
  • Make sure you have enough disk space.
  • If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.
  • Try changing video adapters.
  • Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.
  • Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you plan to debug this problem, you might find it difficult to obtain a stack trace. Parameter 2 (the exception address) should identify the driver or function that caused this problem.
If exception code 0x80000003 occurs, a hard-coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but the system was started with the /NODEBUG switch. This problem should rarely occur. If it occurs repeatedly, make sure that a kernel debugger is connected and the system is started with the /DEBUG switch.
If exception code 0x80000002 occurs, the trap frame supplies additional information.
If you do not know the specific cause of the exception, consider the following issues:
  • Hardware incompatibility. Make sure that any new hardware that is installed is listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.
  • Faulty device driver or system service. A faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.
If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you must start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.
If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is installed, you can remove the service by starting the computer by using the Recovery Console and then deleting the offending system service file.
Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x7E.
You can also disable memory caching of the BIOS might to try to resolve the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the memory scanner, that the system manufacturer supplies. For more information about these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.
The error that generates this message can occur after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished. A possible cause of the error is lack of disk space for installation and system BIOS incompatibilities. For problems during Windows installation that are associated with lack of disk space, reduce the number of files on the target hard disk drive. Check for and delete any temporary files that you do not have to have, Internet cache files, application backup files, and .chk files that contain saved file fragments from disk scans. You can also use another hard disk drive with more free space for the installation. You can resolve BIOS problems by upgrading the system BIOS version.

If you wish to do a fresh install that is your choice. It cant hurt anything.http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795746.aspx

maybe a dumb question, but is there a way to format this drive before it loads windows? because i have my OS on this drive, so i won't be able to format the drive and wipe it out while windows is running, because it would wipe out windows, right? or it would leave windows alone, but i want it gone anyways. if i have to i can remove the drive and take it up to my office and hook it up on my comp here as a slave and wipe it out from here, but if it can do it from home, all the better.

i know there was an option to partition the drive when installing windows, but i don't remember an option to completely wipe out the drive, that's why i am asking.

You will have to format using the Windows CD during the install setup procedure.

i am trying to backup the files i want to save on the drive i am about to wipe out, but ****, it's taking FOREVER... it's taking a few minutes to move a 300kb file, i have probably 50GB that i will be saving on this drive. i tried copying and moving folders from one HDD to another, but it's just too slow. anything i can do to speed it up??

edit:

i am trying a program now called teracopy, supposedly it moves files faster. but it's still rpetty slow. on my computer that my new one is replacing, it would have moved like 500MB in a minute or two. this program is showing that the files are being moved at 1.3 mb/sec, and this is on the new computer with a 2.83ghz quad core processor and 4gb ram, and i am running in safe mode. any idea why it's so slow?

well i just let it run overnight. it took about 10 hours to copy everything!

i formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of windows xp, installed sp1, then sp3, now everything is running great!!

thank you everyone who helped me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom