trying to get an old computer to play half life

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudx138

Solid State Member
this might be the wrong forum because there is a few problems

I have an old amd k6 computer that i got really cheap ($25) and i wanted it to play half-life/counterstrike without too much lag, so then i bought a old voodoo 2 pci graphics card. However, now i have to switch monitors to the different graphics cards and after i downloaded directx9c a half-life dialog box appeared and said to install directx 6 or higher. So, i decided it was just a random occurance and decided to unistall/reinstall half life, the install program said i already had an updated version of direct x and it wasnt going to update it. But much to my dissapointment i got the same dialog box. Can anybody help me on this??? Thanks in advance

[edit]-the computer has an intigrated ati IIC graphics card installed and thats i think thats why i need 2 monitors 1 for desktop 1 for programs that use the 3dfx card

What do you mean you had to switch monitors? Your old screen didn't work with the new card? Voodoo 2's are old, but not that old.

Half-life shouldn't be giving you issues about dx9. I run the latest directX on my machine, and HL runs great. Try reinstalling HL, then reinstalling your DX drivers afterwards. Also, try installing the dx drivers that come with your HL cd, as it is possible HL won't be able to recognize dx9 on such an old machine.

Lastly, I'm gonna tell ya right now, if you want low lag, yer look'n for trouble with that box. Now I ran HL on a PII 800MHz with a ATI Rage Fury Pro 32mb g-card just fine, but I know I was pushing the limits when it came to multiplayer.

I hope to heaven that you aren't going to try to run Steam and the latest version of CS on that box. Then you really ARE looking for trouble!

haha i know that im using it for LAN stuff mostly
im gonna try what you said now

i couldnt make the voodoo card into the primary display adapter thats why i need 2 monitors

yes exactly and i tried what you said to do but now i get half-life telling me that kb_keys.lst is empty and that directx 6 need to be installed....
this sucks....

using 2 display adapters will slow down game speed considerably on a old pc like that, even with only 1 on at a time..

(note- im guessing)--> your on win98, i would uninstall dx9c and install witchever version windows update tells u to. it may have probs on 98.

you need to disable your onbourd display adapter, im not shur ona pc that old, but the option is prolly in your Bios.

jolancer's right. Having two g-cards on a machine like that is a mistake. disable or remove (I prefer remove) the weaker card and move on.

If HL is giving you errors like that, you must have serously fkd something up. HL is pretty tolerant of hardware and drivers (as compared to other fps games). Unless you have something dear to you on that box, I'd suggest doing a full reinstall (with or without the format is up to you).

I do remember that some of the Voodoo cards did have a lot of problems with games back when they came out. You could check with the website to see what they have on Q&A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom